Biggest question in salt water hobby need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbiesamp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 95 corner tank and have the big question that I need help with
Corals or not

I know if it were mine, it would coral. Bigger questions are.... what do you already have for it (lights, sump, etc), and what's your realistic budget?

I just have tank and stand starting from scratch getting good led light making my own sump and getting a good skimmer

Easy... Corals all the way. I don't know where I heard it but one of my favorite quotes is "a saltwater tank without corals is like a garden without plants" it just don't make sense to not go all out to me lol

Go for the corals......

Easy... Corals all the way. I don't know where I heard it but one of my favorite quotes is "a saltwater tank without corals is like a garden without plants" it just don't make sense to not go all out to me lol

I agree 95%.... there is something to be said for a nice predator tank.

Yea I love corals but there are soooo many fish that eat corals or aren't reef safe

Yea I love corals but there are soooo many fish that eat corals or aren't reef safe

I know what you mean, but to help persuade you.... many of the prettier fishes that aren't considered reef safe wouldn't be suitable in a 90 gallon corner tank anyway..........

I'd say plan for fish and corals. You have to start with fish anyway until your tank is fully established, maybe 6 or so months, then you decide at that time. I assure you'll want more than fish :)

ganiel said:
I'd say plan for fish and corals. You have to start with fish anyway until your tank is fully established, maybe 6 or so months, then you decide at that time. I assure you'll want more than fish :)

You don't need to wait that long to add corals. Once your cycle is finished then you could fully stock your tank with corals.

You don't need to wait that long to add corals. Once your cycle is finished then you could fully stock your tank with corals.

+1.... I was adding corals a month before my first fish went in. There are many coral tanks with no fish at all..... that's the way I wanted to go, but NO, the wife insisted it needed fish. :banghead: :lol:

Phranque said:
+1.... I was adding corals a month before my first fish went in. There are many coral tanks with no fish at all..... that's the way I wanted to go, but NO, the wife insisted it needed fish. :banghead: :lol:

Exactly! I was perfectly fine with one fish in my 46 gallon bowfront with 20 gallon sump/fuge but nooo the gf didn't think there was enough "movement" in the tank haha

Exactly! I was perfectly fine with one fish in my 46 gallon bowfront with 20 gallon sump/fuge but nooo the gf didn't think there was enough "movement" in the tank haha

I heard the EXACT same argument. :lol: So now I have an ocellaris, and I just put a six-line into QT two days ago. I guess since she hasn't complained (much) about the funds that have gone into this, she's got some say...:angel:

Back to the OP.... Dude, just do it. You know that 90 is going to look sweet filled with corals!!!

It's all a matter of which you want more: the not-reef safe fish or the corals. Totally depends on which you like the look of better. Are it in love with a particular angel or butterflyfish that you just MUST have? If so, then no corals. If you can live without that fish, then do corals. Personally, I have a reef and a FOWLR. :)

If I did I want it to look like this

Attachments

• image-1748637367.jpg
    image-1748637367.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 113
Corals all the way. I have a 54g corner reef. I would skip the tangs and go for the swallowtail angel fish which is reef safe. One of the only ones that is. Beautiful fish and eats rot from my hand. I have a tomato clown, six line wrasse, and juvi fox face, oh and a pink spot goby. You can do more as your volume of water is larger. Maybe an Anthia pair?? I have a squareback pair In my 180g tank now. Very cool.

Good luck

Mrc8858 said:

Wait a minute. You want your tank well cycled and I guarantee you drop a shopping bag full of corals into a system this small, they will die. Start slow and build up the population of corals and fish. THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS.

Back
Top Bottom