bio-balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just removed the last of my bio-balls but i'm really not sure why. i was told that they produce nitrates, but does that mean that the sponges and filter media do also? could someone explain it to me? btw i have a 72 gallon reef tank in case it matters.

i think that you could have left them in place.
al of you filter media will produce nitrates IF you slack on keeping up the cleaner part of the hobby and dont clean parts of your media.

i thought it was more complicated than that. i thought it had something to do with the live rock doing the same job as the bio-balls making them overkill. my nitrates are always less than 5 so i guess i shouldn't worry?

I was considering removing my bio-balls as well. I read somewhere that they can built up too many nutrients ina reef tank?

Bio Balls

I have been running bio balls for three years in a 100 g reef. I am running a 4 inches of live sand. The only time I have nitrates is when I totally neglect my skimmer and "crap" collects on the sponge (inlet) that limits intake,bubbles,aka cleaning. Bio Ball and skimming is the way to go. :D

I have been running bio balls for three years in a 100 g reef. I am running a 4 inches of live sand.

Bingo. Filter A (bioballs) produce nitrate because of the highly oxygenated enviorment and Filter B (the DSB) works on removing those nitrates thanks to the low oxygen regions deep within the sand bed. Out of curosity what is your nitrate reading?

The reason filter media, sponges and bioballs produce nitrate is that they are oxygen rich and thus fairly effective at ammonia and nitrite removal but the nitrate can not be broken down since the bactera that utilizes nitrate prefers lower oxygen levels.

Fishfreek, I was thinking it would be good to combine both. I have a sand bed now in my tank 3-4 inches and am planning on making a rubbermaid 40gal sump/refigium to replace my wet/dry setup. I was planning on using the bioballs I currently have and then have a 5-6 in sand bed as well as some beneficial algae/plants and anything else that is good for a fuge. Does this sound like a good idea? Bio balls reduce amonia/nitrie and the DSB and my skimmer will reduce nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom