Bio-balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know where i can purchase bio-balls for my wet/dry filter??

I know some people recommend live rock rubble but to start off im using bio balls

website or store names would be fine..

I herd rubble is produces a lot of algea...also, where can i get lr rubble?

thanks for the advise so far lando...can you tell me the pro's and con's about bioballs and lr...i dont want to but something not needed...

you can pick up LR Rubble probably at any decent fish store. If you order from LR.com you could probably ask for them for a certain amount of rubble with your order. You can also probably take some of the baserock you get and break it apart with your hammer so you dont have to buy as much LR rubble.

I herd rubble is produces a lot of algea
Not sure where you heard this, but I have not had a problem with mine. If anything, I think it would reduce the amount of algea due to it's nitrate removing ability.
where can i get lr rubble?
You may need to source it out in your area. I got mine free from the LFS. Before I came along they were just throwing it away. All of the broken chunks in the bottom of the shipping boxes that they had no use for. I convinced them to put the rubble in their curing tanks with the rock and I just fished it out myself. It was fully cured and ready to go. they have since started charging people for it (except me). Just ask around. You may have to pay a couple bucks a pound for it but it is worth it. I believe if you call Mike or Zack at liverocks.com they would be happy to ship some to you.
can you tell me the pro's and con's about bioballs and lr
bioballs are not "bad", they hve been around for years and do a great job of removing ammonia and nitrite. By design, they are made to cultivate aerobic bacteria (requires oxygen) this is why they they do such a good job at removing nitrite. they can, over time, catch detritus in the tank and cause nitraes to climb. this is not a problem proved you have plenty of LR in the main (1.5-2lbs/gal) to handle the nitrate produced by the bioballs. LR rubble is ust a better filter media. It has a greater surface area for cultivating denitrafying bacteria and does a better job at keeping nitrates in check. I can tell you from first hand experience. I started out with bioballs in my sump. NO3 was always around 15-20. I switched to LR rubble and, with some water changes, my NO3 went down to under 5. It has remained since. Either way you go should be fine. IMHO, LR rubble works better, especially if you are planning a reef. However, with regular cleaing and water changes bioballs will work for you. I just prefer to stack the deck in my favor :wink:

You can also probably take some of the baserock you get and break it apart with your hammer so you dont have to buy as much LR rubble.
this is a great idea as well. Just cycle the base rock along woth your tank. I suggest mixing LR and bas rock rubble to speed this process up. Make sure you wear safety glasses if you decide to take a hammer to the rock.

Okay I'll go with the live rock rubble....I have the 75 gal wet/dry filter from aquacrylics.com .... how many pounds of lr rubble am i looking at... :?:

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom