Bio load

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxVooDooxX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is adding a starfish considered part of the bio load? Can I add 2 fish and a star in the same day?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

What type of stars are you thinking? Unless you are target feeding it then it's not going to impact the bio load much. I have a large green serpent that I feed shrimp, I believe his billows is more than anything else in the tank! But regular brittles would be a good addition, good scavengers, depending on your tank size adding two at once won't cause a problem. Just be sure not to expose the stars to air when you put them in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

TomStav said:
What type of stars are you thinking? Unless you are target feeding it then it's not going to impact the bio load much. I have a large green serpent that I feed shrimp, I believe his billows is more than anything else in the tank! But regular brittles would be a good addition, good scavengers, depending on your tank size adding two at once won't cause a problem. Just be sure not to expose the stars to air when you put them in.

iim a fw guy but ive heard that before not to expose stars to air is there a big reason as to not do that?

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

It can basically kill them, air gets trapped in there pores (can't think of a better description.

Haha gross! Well I have a green serpent star in there but I want a red brittle. The serpent is really slow, and doesn't move around much. I was kinda hoping for one that's a little more active in scavenging in the rocks and such

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

PrettyFishies said:
I have a huge pink brittle who's very active, but stays hidden unless under the moonlight.

I have blue n orange brittle.. Those two are all over the tank at all times... but prefer to front glass... They really dont hide.... They do pretty good job keeping it clean ... Here's a pic

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

Attachments

• image-3577185952.jpg
    image-3577185952.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 102
those aren't brittle stars. those are linckia stars. we still aren't sure what they eat. they do need large, well established, tanks to survive.
the same goes for fromia stars.

brittle stars are much hardier than the linckias. brittles will accept meaty foods from your hand. it's true that they hide most of the time though...you might see a leg sticking out here and there, unless you coax it out with some food.
great scavengers too.

I have to disagree about serpent star being slow from my experiences. I have a tiger in one tank and a red serpent in another. I'll admit that you won't see much of them during the day except for maybe an arm or four... but when it comes time to feeding. Even if I'm just feeding flakes it'll come out and get some. I've seen them steal food from my cleaner shrimps.

Back
Top Bottom