BIO Load - How to determine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foamythesquirrel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had my tank running for just over 5 months now. I have a Hang-On Protein Skimmer by CPR Aquatics and it seems to work fine.

I am curious to know if there is a way to measure your bio load within the tank. I have a 29gal and do a 10% WC every 2 weeks.

Thanks for the advice.

No way to measure it number-wise, but if you tell us what fish you have in the tank, we can give you an idea of where you're at!

I figured that could be the case, but thanks for breaking the news :)

As for my fish, I have 2 black clowns just under 2" each. I also have 2 Fire Gobies about 2" each. And 1 Kaudern Cardinal about 1.5" long.

These things are usually personal opinions, but I'd say that's a pretty decent bioload. It's definitely not low. I wouldn't put anything more in there. For comparison, I've got a clown, three chromis, a Kaudern, and a yellow clown goby in a 46g and I feel like I might have one more fish than I should have in it. But that's just me... I'm sure others will have different opinions.

That sounds good to me as well. I didn't plan on adding more fish, since I am looking more for a reef tank.

I guess the question still remains, do I need to have my protein skimmer still? I am just uncertain if that is removing any good source from the tank, or is it worthwhile to have it do it's job?

Thanks.

No way to measure it number-wise, but if you tell us what fish you have in the tank, we can give you an idea of where you're at!

I agree with Kurt that you just cant throw a number out there. Some fish are sloppy eaters some are neat herbivores ans so on. It really depends on the fish. BTW that was a very good question.

Back
Top Bottom