Bioballs and Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightowl2k

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,i just set up a h.o.b. refugium with chaeto ,a couple pcs of live rock from dt with three shaving brush bushs.my question is do i keep the bioballs in my sump for nitrites? ,or is it just a waste of space? Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Personal opinion here but I ditched my bio balls for Live rock rubble. So I've been told bio balls are just nitrate factories

+1 I agree. But don't dump all the bio balls at once. Slowly replace them with live rock rubble. They essentially do the same thing, provide a surface for bacteria to grow on, but the rock is far more porous and has more surface area.

I took all my bioballs out all at once and I use socks now. Didn't have any spikes, lots of live rock so no big deal, but better to be safe than sorry...

I automatically default to moving slower rather than fast. Any big change to the filtration system can be major, so I just suggest changing it out over a few weeks so bacteria levels can adjust.

Ty,should i get rid of the trickle piece thats above the bioballs?if i do how to i change it so it works with just the live rock?

Also when u say rubble rock,is that the same as just broken pieces of the live rock thats in my tank?

Thanks gregcoyote...anysize? Couple inches or just however they breakoff?

Any suggestions as to how i should go about the trickle down plate?

I removed my plate and installed a piece of clear tube down below water level to aleviate the splash of the water

You want to try to distribute the water flow as randomly as possible. But I haven't had one of these filters in a long time. They can be a bit loud as I remember.

Great advise,ty...last ?..how deep should the pile of rubble rock b?same as bioballs or just enough under the water level?

Back
Top Bottom