Bioballs good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if i should use bioballs in my sump? I have read that they are bad and that they are good. Who should i believe?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Like everything, it depends on how on top of things you are. Bioballs do the same thing as your live rock, basically. They become an issue when the owner doesn't ever rinse them off, turning them into a nitrate factory.
I don't think bioballs need to be used since the live rock does that job. Junking bioballs opens up room for all kinds of different equipment or a refugium or something.

So live rock is a better option for removing nitrates?

Not removing nitrates, area for the bacteria to grow to complete the nitrate cycle.
For nitrate removal, it's either run media, do water changes, or grow algae in a refugium or turf scrubber.

Thankyou :)

Bio balls lack the low oxygen zones that live rock have. The bacteria that live in these zones complete the nitrogen cycle by turning nitrate into a gas that can be exported from the tank at the surface. Bio balls do everything BUT convert the nitrate. Bio balls are not good for reef tanks or tanks where high nitrates are a problem.

Back
Top Bottom