Bioload after adding an eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm about to add a zebra moray (about 14") to my 110 gallon tank. I have had only 2 clowns and a yellow tang in the tank for a year. I had some issues with my water and didnt' want to add anything until it was all set. Now, I want to add this eel. I have almost 200lbs of live rock in the system (including in my 50g sump/fuge).

Should my bioload 'catch up' with adding this eel after having such a small bioload for so long? I'm not sure how this works exactly?

Also, would it be pushing it adding a lawmower blenny at the same time (he's been in QT for 3 weeks) - - I know my timing stinks, I just don't want to keep the blenny in QT for much longer and my lfs just got a zebra in today. I want to snatch him up before anyone else does. Ideally, I'd like to get them both into my display relative soon, but obviously after having 3 fish for a year I DO have the patience to wait if nec.

- Skins

I think you will be ok adding both of them at the same time, in a well established tank. I would monitor the water closely and maybe a few partial water changes if neccesary. Also keep in mind that eels do not need to eat every day. you would be fine feeding "him" only twice a week, and it is not uncommon for them to not eat for a week when first introduced. Due to those to things IMO the bioload will be ok. I am waiting to setup my new tank and them I will be getting a zebra moray. Here are a few links that I have found very useful. Good luck!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/zebramor.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/zebramfa.htm

SharkMan said:
...and it is not uncommon for them to not eat for a week when first introduced.

Good, maybe my hitchhiker pistol shrimp will last a couple days.

I'd keep a close eye on your levels and make a couple PWC over the next few weeks if you do decide to get "him". I had a snowflake for a while and eels IMO are very intresting creatures. HTH

Back
Top Bottom