Black cap vs Royal Gramma Basslet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chase33

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am interested in both fish but know I can only get one for my tank. I like the Royal Gramma better but hate the idea that I will not see it most of the time. Is the Black cap more likely to roam the tank or will it hide as much as the Royal Gramma?

I had a very similar debate with myself today and really love the color of the royal gramma and decided instead to get a bicolor pseudoshromis. I dont know if this helps lol but its the same thing I did today

Bicolor pseudos can be extremely aggressive...

I had a royal gramma, and although he hid for a few days at first, that was mostly because he was being pestered by my 6 line wrasse who had decided that he was king of the tank. After a while the gramma came out more and more until he was out pretty much all the time. This was in a 30g reef tank.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to go with the Royal Gramma. Saltwaterfish.com has both the Royal Gramma (1.99) and the Black Cap (14.99) on sale. No I did not mistype. It's $1.99. I hope my 6 line doesn't bother him too much though my tank is 120g.

with that size tank you should be fine. Maybe rearrange a few things to distract the 6 line. The gramma will hide for a while and then will be out and about. THey are beautiful fish.

Agree with all the above: royal gramma was a good choice. I have one AND a 6 line in my 45, and they both get along fine (knock on wood!!!). And the only time the gramma hides is when I have my arm in the tank for whatever reason. Otherwise, he's out and about and very active!

Plus, you can't find a better deal than a buck 99! Seems every once in a while there is an overstock of this fish and retailers drop their prices to sell them.

Thanks for advice. I expect delivery tomorrow. keeping my fingers crossed.

I really like my Gramma, lots of personality. He follows me around the tank from time to time while I'm doing things. I think you will be pleased with new fish!

Back
Top Bottom