Blender Mush, what do you think.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is what I am gonna use to make some blender mush this weekend.

Fresh Shrimp
Nori Sheets
Morsels
Flakes (if I can get some)

This does not sound like much, also, should I add some kind of liquid to thin it out a bit?

What else can I throw in?

What else can I throw in?

Any fresh seafood. The bulk of mine consists of fish, I also add scrimp, clams, scallops etc...basically a little of whatever the fish shop has on hand. I add nori, cod oil, you can add selcon or zoe or some sort of viatamin. I use tank water to thin it out. Becareful it is real easy to blend it too long, the idea is to have a varying chunk size from liquified to fishy bite size. I like to put it in a quart size zip lock bag and lay it flat on a cookie sheet and then freeze it, break off what you need and feed.

Ok all that sounds really good. I have heard a lot of people mention the vitamin thing, but I dont know what you mean. Please do some elab. Can I just get the cheapest fish they have got?

Selcon is a vitamin and it has amino acids in it to if I remember correctly. Its real good for the fish and keeps them healthy and colorful. I do mine pretty much the same as Keven does. Remeber when you are blending it not to blend it to much. Yuou are looking for peices in many different sizes, ie: sizes for your fish, crabs, worms corals and so on. Make sure your Blender is real clean before u use it, run it under boiling water, (gets rid of any antibacterial dish soap that may be on it.)

have fun

Mikie

Ok, I am gonna throw some zooplankton and DT's in there too. Thanks for the idea Kribz. I am gonna just get the cheapest stuff from the fishstore they have, like a couple shrimp, a filet of nasty fish, and then some other stuff you mentioned, where can I get selcon

you can get selcon online i believe for pretty cheap. and as for the shrimp and the fish i find it cheaper to go to the grocery store and buy the uncooked raw shrimp and simply take off the shell. also concerning the different particle sizes i would just cut the meat up as best you can with a knife and throw half in the blender at the biggining so you blend that to almost a puree. then add the rest of the meat at the end to keep some larger peices.

OK now im confused..... I have no fish yet but when i get some i wanna make sure i do this right. So to feed them correctly what all should you give fish for food? I know that i should give fish food flakes, and dried seaweed. What other foods do you give and how is it done? Sorry for being dumb. :lol:

Your not being dumb, that is why I started this thread. I am going to make my food sometime this weekend, I need to pick up some Nori, and fish flakes first.

so how exactly do you make "mush" food? using a blender how do you process it and what is good food for what fish? I dont know anything about this and i would like to get some info on it so i can give my fish the treatment they deserve. thanks everyone

Blender mush is a conglomeration to feed all the animals in the tank. It feeds the fish as well as the crabs, shrimps, pods, worms, corals etc... Oh, btw, if you make some.....I have read the vicks inhalers will deaden the sense of smell :wink:

Hmmm, I try to add enough different seafood and algaes to feed just about any type of fish, but, of course, you would gear your ingredients towards your specific fish. As for processing it, I actually use a small food processor rather than a blender, it is a little easier to control chunk size with a food processor than with a blender. Course noone uses the food processor anymore, but hey, my fish deserve it :wink: Basically I do like kribbz suggested, I add a portion of all the ingredients a little at a time, in stages, so the first bit you put in is liquified the next batch isn't quite as processed and so until you got a mix of particle and chunk sizes.

with the exception of a few snails kept in the aquarium, they are gonna ignore the food. The crabs and fish will appreciate a mix of fresh fish, clams, shrimp, nori and maybe some spirulina flake. You really can add just about anything you want that you would feed your fish.

so they were talking of freezing the mix after it is done is that necessary and how much do you feed them at a time?

yes the food must be frozen after you prepare it, if not it will rot and won't be any good for more than a day. It really depends on how many fish your feeding. For three fish I add a small chunk, maybe 1/2" by 1/2".

Freeze it in a bag on a cookie sheet, and just break off a little chunk. I am thinking about buying one of those mini-fridges with a feezer so I can place it in my tank room. I really would like having a cold drink while feeding my frozen goop.

Back
Top Bottom