Blue Chromis Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello sirs and ladies, I have just finished my cycle and I am wanting to add a school of blue chromis to my tank. I have two questions...

My tank is new and using a lot of old dryed out rock from a previous tank. I am wanting as much life as possible to spread from the new live rock i bought to the old rock and am worried that the chromis will affect the migration of all the pods, worms, algae, ect. Do chromis pick at live rock/pods much???

question two. How many chromis should i get? I have a 55g tank and the chromis will pobably be the only fish in it besides maybe one more slightly aggresive fish to keep the chromis on their toes. How many do you suggest for a 55g tank and what would be a good partner?

TYIA
rossv

Chromis shouldn't affect all of the life on the live rock. When I first got mine (I only bought 1 chromis at first), it wouldn't eat the pellets I offered it for a little over a week. I did see it pick at live rock once in a while for sustinance I assume. Now that I have several in my tank, and they readily eat Formula 1 & 2, I rarely see them pick at the live rock.

For your 55, I would porbably get 5-7. Its a good number for a school but not too much so you can have room for other cool fish.

If you want alot of life in your tank you can 1- not get any sort of dragonette because they might eat everything in your tank and 2- get rock rubble and put it in some undiscrete area of the tank (tons and tons of pods will grow).

I'm not sure if this is true, but I think that dosing some phyto into the tank usually helps pods grow. Someone might have to confirm that because I don't want to give you info that is either wrong or just going to make your water foul.

HTH

They should not bother the spread. I have not seen mine picking at the rocks. Have a good day

Back
Top Bottom