Blue crabs as pets???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've seen blue crabs as pets at my grocery store for $3..... They're like 6" long. I would love to save one.... But I think they would kill my fish. All my fish ate over 4" and I have a 6" lobster. The lobster kills new fish, but not things that were in the tank when he was introduced. Will the blue crab do the same? I have a Niger trigger, yellow tang, black edge moray eel, orbiculate batfish, and honeycomb grouper. 150g. Would he be fine if added last? It would be really cool.

I can't really say much since I don't know what it is...it wouldn't be reef safe, I know that much. 3 bucks is an ok price...but if you go that route def QT. That is a crab out of the ocean, who knows what it could be carrying.

None of my fish are reef safe.... So reef safe isn't an issue.... As long as its coral and fish safe I'm fine....... Thanks for the help. Anyone with other ideas or thoughts?

Not sure if it was a good idea or not, but I found a 1 1/2" Blue crab at the beach a few weeks ago, and put him in my tank. Only seen him once since then, in my overflow box. Pulled him out of the box, and haven't seen him since.
A 6" crab is pretty big though, he might try to grab some of your fish.

That's what I thought... Just read some articles and apparently they eat everything, including their own species. Are there any crabs I could keep that my fish wouldn't eat??? My grouper wrecked 2 porcelain crabs in about 1 minute.... So I'm looking for like 3" crabs. Any ideas?

Don't know man, any invert will be challenging with that Grouper, especially as it matures.
I really hope that little Blue I put in doesn't start to eat coral...

That's why I'm so reluctant to give my lobster away. He's the only invert I can keep with the boss of the tank :).

crister13 said:
That's why I'm so reluctant to give my lobster away. He's the only invert I can keep with the boss of the tank :).

I agree with you there! I've had mine over 6 years, and when I upgraded to this tank 1 1/2 years ago, I debated taking him out...I just couldn't! He's now over 5" and I think he's starting to eyeball my fish. I just try to make sure his belly is full! Probably going to be forced to re-home him soon. He was like 3/4" when I got him.

Mine was always big. He's a Caribbean spiny. What type is yours??? Here's a pic. Hes killed 3 fish. Only ones that were introduced after him though.

Attachments

• image-1251881677.jpg
    image-1251881677.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 223
My lobster runs around all the time. I guess I got lucky. Yours is awesome..... I'm trying to keep mine fed too. Im only gonna add like 8" fish and put him in my fuge while the new fish acclimates to his new home. Has yours killed anyone?

crister13 said:
My lobster runs around all the time. I guess I got lucky. Yours is awesome..... I'm trying to keep mine fed too. Im only gonna add like 8" fish and put him in my fuge while the new fish acclimates to his new home. Has yours killed anyone?

Not that I can directly pin on him, but I've lost firefish through the years, without a trace, so... Now I just avoid smaller fish and bottom dwellers, until I give him away. He's in a 180g.

Mine killed a tang... A stingray, and a cleaner Wrasse, and the tang didn't stop swimming. I want to get rid of him, but dont :).

Ya exactly lol. I'm seriously considering getting rid of him today do I can actually buy what I want. Haha

Never mind. I like him too much. I'll just have to do my aggression reducing plan when I get new fish! Fun.

Back
Top Bottom