Blue hermit crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Assuming your tank is ready it is suggested as many as 1/gal. I currently have a combination of different hermits to include blue legs that totals 30-40 in my 75gal.

Good luck,

As many as you can feed :). On a new tank with relatively fresh live rock a dozen or so would be fine.

On an established tank with lots of LR, loads of algae (some good, some bad), a moderate fish load (which adds their food scraps / detritus) - You could go to 1 or 1.5 per gallon.

50 or 100 hermits sound like alot - until you see them in a baggie. Most are quite small and once they are dispersed thru the tank it really doesn't seem like that much.

My tank has been cycled for a month with LR,BR,and LS. The water is fine. I think its time for a cleaning crew. 2 shrimps, some snails,and hermit crabs.

i thought that the blues were a little more agrresiive than some of the others. Maybe mix it up with a few mexican red-legs, and that other red hermit. Forgot what its called though

I just added 40 to my 75g, and that was a drop in the bucket IMO.
Just so long as they don't get as big as one of the crabs I have. He is almost 2" wide. Posted pics in my gallery of him yesterday. :)
He's mellow, doesn't bother anyone.

Back
Top Bottom