Blue hippo tang behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockster2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added one of these tangs to my 220 gallon tank about six months ago. It is a voracious eater and has grown from about 3.5 inches to about 5.5 inches in that short time. It's probably the most dominant fish in the tank. It wedges itself into a small cave every night and darts into the same cave if it gets spooked. I won't say that it is easily spooked but it does Spook more than any fish in the tank. As a result, the sides of the tang frequently look beat up, which I attribute to it wedging itself into the cave. I watch it carefully for signs of lateral line disease and it gets a steady diet of nori and home grown caulerpa from the refugium. I have a similarly sized purple tang and fox face that show neither of these behaviors and which are in excellent health. Is this behavior (sleeping in the rocks and somewhat easily spooked behavior) normal for blue hippo tangs?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

it is very natural for them, keep a clean tank with a good mixed variety or foods and he will be fine

Back
Top Bottom