Blue Reef Chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cchamby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have experience keeping Blue Reef Chromis? I am thinking of getting a few for my 35 gallon reef aquarium.

I've been eying up those dark blue reef chromis for a while now , they are really pretty fish my problem is every time I have tried to order them theirs only 1 or 2 in stock . after seeing what happen a long while back with the blue/green chromis adding 1 or 2 at a time is not a option for me , don't get me wrong they survived they just never schooled together . it was just one of those odd things I never even considered would happen .
seeing you only have a 35g tank I would be Leary of the blue chromis as they get to around 5 inch each , so basically you would be fully stocked with 3 chromis and that's a lot,
live aquara says there good in 30g but a lot of times your better looking at how big they get full grown , you cant always fall on there charts as sometimes they are off.

As previously stated, the Blue Reef chromis ( from the Atlantic) gets too large for a 35 gal tank. I used to get them regularly in my warehouse and they never did well in smaller tanks ( even when small) as they like to constantly swim. You would be better to get a damsel that sets up a home spot in the tank than chromis that school and need swimming space.
You would then possibly have an issue with the damsel becoming too aggressive with the other fish in the tank. A smaller tank such as yours would be a better fit, I believe, more for smaller fish like Gobies, Blennies, Cardinals, Basslets, etc. that don't need the swimming space. ( I used my 30 long for a breeding pair of Banggai cardinals. ) (y)

Back
Top Bottom