Blue Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nitrate

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I have my LFS checking the list to find me a blue star. After reading a post I decided to do what I should have done before I asked for the star and I read up on it.

They are very sensitive to Nitrates. Mine are almost always above 20ppm because I have CC and a wet/dry combined with a large porcy puffer and a large v lion.

They need an established tank, my current tank I cycled from scratch about 8 months ago. I only added LR about 2 months ago. I have a general star, 2 urchins, and a hermit crab already and I'm concerned about adding another algea eater.

Do I need to wait for the blue? Is there another star or interesting invert that I could add now?

blue linkia stars are the most difficult and sensitive stars out there. they do not do well in captivity and are extremly hard to acclimate, in fact most do not make it past the acclimation stage or die right after. it is probably best to leave the blues in the ocean where they belong. brittle stars are pretty hardy though and might look cool with your urchins.
good luck,
mermaid

My friend had a blue linkia that survived about a month and then died after she moved her rockwork around (this was just after cycling, more or less). Anyways, they always seem to wrap around powerheads, or hide in wierd places. They're pretty cool, but I might go for another, heartier star if i were you.

I have had my Blue Linck for well over a year now. I really think the reason he has done so well is that I acclimated him very slowly and there is a lot of rock in the tank. Between 450-500lbs of LR. This is important because there is plenty of food for him. Also..he was put into a tank that was 5 years old.

I would say that once you have at least 100 pounds of LR and have it in there for at least a year, you should be able to keep once successfully provided your water conditions are ideal.

They are definately an advanced level addition to the tank. :wink: If you dont feel your ready for it, please dont purchase it.

How is it good to feed a vegitarian chopped clam? I checked 5 different sites, all stated that they are omnivores only to the extent that they will hold an arm out into the water searching for floating microbes. Other than that, they feed on film algae. 8)

Would a star fish survive with a porcupine puffer in the tank? It must be a gentle one.

I have a small orange and he's GREAT....
dripped him for a hour and drpped him in the tank. Been 6 months and no problems. Tank was established for 3 months.

Check out my orange star in my gallery. I have had him for 7 months with no issue. He is not a linkia, in fact i'm not sure of the species. I have never had to target feed him and he does just fine living off the rock. My 2 serpent stars are doing great too.

ellisz said:
Would a star fish survive with a porcupine puffer in the tank? It must be a gentle one.

Ive had a General star with the puffer for several weeks now and he never pays any attention to it.

From what Ive read and the posts here, I think I'll pass on the blue for now, but would like opinions of another interesting invert I could add.

I would look at a red sea star. They are not as delicate and will scavenge for micro fauna and film algae.

Red Serpent star would be another good choice. Its in the brittle star family, but not nearly as aggressive as the green brittle.

Conchs are always interesting...I love the one little eye that sticks up like a periscope when they are burried in the sand.

Skunk Cleaner shrimp are my favorite shrimp of all time. They are always out and beautiful.

Cowerie can be great if you dont have any polpys in the tank. They tend to munch on them.

Ive had a General star with the puffer for several weeks now and he never pays any attention to it.
Hmm. Maybe I will try some stuff with my porc. I have about 5 hithiker crabs in the tank with him now and he fights with them. He has not killed any though.

I don't really trust him to put my hand in the tank. He is always at the top and seems to nip anything that enters. He is always hungry :) Most puffers I have had in the past seem to shy away once you put your hand in the water...

I pet mine!!! Hes gentle and will let me tickle his belly. He only acts agreesive if he thinks its feeding time.

Im sure he has munched on hitchiker crabs, I doubt there is anything big enough in my LR to give him any trouble at all. He does terrorize my hermit and snails, but hasnt figured out how to get the out of the shell yet.

Thanks for the input squishy, I'll do some research on those now

Back
Top Bottom