Blue Tang question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edison9114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Blue Tang appears healthy, is not "itching", does not have the white flecks which signify ich, eats heartily, and swims normally. I have had him for about 3 months, and he recently started to lose some of the color in spots around his face. The spots are not white, they just appear to be clear. What is the cause of this and how do I correct it?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm sure people will ask the typical water chemistry questions to you, but from my experiences tangs need a large amount of vegetable matter in their diet. Do you have a clip that you attach nori, or "dried seaweed" for your tang to nibble on throughout the course of the day? Not getting enough vegetable matter can lead to Head and Lateral Line Erosion which could almost fit the bill here. It is usually caused from poor diet and water quality.

Tangs are "grazers" and need to eat throughout the day.

- Jeff

is your tang a powder blue?, I read they change color, even some times look pale depending on there mood

For me it is the other way around. My tang has a deep blue color in the day and at night he assumes a pale, light blue color that i think is to blend more with the water. I agree that the clear blotches are the beginning of HLLE and that you need to provide pristine conditions for the tang. I get this by Chemi-Pure by boyd enterprises. Works like a miracle. If you want to see pics, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=52245&highlight=

Back
Top Bottom