Blue Tang vs Blue Hippo Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbecher

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

Just a quick questions/thought. I see MANY people talking about their blue "Hippo" tangs, but what about the "Blue Tang."

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

Is this a mislabeling on their site or is that indeed a blue tang? I'm just curious because I was looking at one for my tank, but wanted to stay away from the hippo since it gets to large.

Just wanted to get some thoughts, and feel free to tell me no :)

Kole or yellow IMO. Careful with the yellow added early. They can be mean sometimes. It's a crap shoot. I'd prefer to add him last.

Powder brown is very sensitive I believe.

I see, thanks for the insite. Do you believe the 75 would be to small for a kole & one other tang? I've read quite a few threads where Mel has had his kole and yellow in a 72g for a while with great sucess, but seeing the yellows acting aggressivley in so many stores has gotten me worried. The Koles seem very peaceful.

Thanks again for all the insight!

I do have a yellow tang and a kole tang in my 72 gallon bowfront. I added the kole last (after I adopted out my mondo hippo tang - I loved that fish!). They do ok together and really don't interact too much unless the kole decides that he's bored and starts to monkey with the yellow tang and then he gets a split second chase and it's over. I will say that with the two tangs in my tank I do run a skimmer 24/7 and I'm militant about 20% pwc every 7-8 days.

I've had my yellow tang since I started my tank (4 years ago). I can't say what will work for you but I would go with austinsdad suggestion of adding the Kole first.

HTH

I have a kole and a PBT in a 65 for over a year now and they are both happy and healthy as could be. The PBT doesn't bother anyone unless they are a new addition.

In any case it isn't the tangs I worry about in my tank, it is a red spot damsel who is not larger than both tangs and is very active, though not harrassing.

It looks like the most common ones around are the chocolates? I haven't gotten that far yet; My friend has spotted a powder brown and she thinks it's beautiful so we might possibly give that a try... though I've heard over and over how difficult they are to first keep.

Back
Top Bottom