Blue throat triggerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtisle506

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to put one in my 75 but nit sure, I know they wont hurt my corals but will my cleaner shrimp be ok?

Hi I believe triggers are a definite no no with shrimps. Also very 'risky' with corals. Also if you have the latin name will just be able to make sure - as the 'blue' trigger is relatively a safe trigger?

My understanding is that the Blue Throat is one of the more reef safe triggers. They tend to eat plankton more than hunt larger prey. You shrimp are probably safe, but certainly not 100%.

Blue Throat Triggerfish (Xanthichthys auromarginatus)

Info:

Attachments

• image-1761246519.jpg
    image-1761246519.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 135
It's hit or miss. Especially in a smaller tank for a trigger. He might get bored and start sampling expensive live foods.

I have had Niger Triggers that were supposed to be easy going terrorize a large tank of other fish.....and I have also had Picasso Triggers that were puppy dogs and left inverts and other fish alone. It really depends on the trigger you get.

Just keep in mind that nature afforded a trigger fish with very powerful jaws for a really good reason = to bite and destroy the exoskeletons of inverts when hungry. Sometimes the capability is more important than the likelihood.

A Blue Throat is probably your best chance of success based on other's experiences.

My cleaner shrimps are about 1.5" long to 2", if i got a 2" blue throat would that help?

I had a Blue Throat years ago, but no shrimp. It was a very mellow trigger, which apparently Blue Throats tend to be. Never hassled any of my other fish. I think, like what was already said, it would be hit and miss. Getting a small one might help, but it will grow. They are great fish though. When I upgrade, I plan to get a pair.

Well, it helps that they are cleaner shrimp. Just a guess, but there's a possibility that the trigger will accept it as a purposeful shrimp in the tank and leave it be. Then again, it could be a matter of time before the trigger grows to a size where the cleaner shrimp serves a higher purpose as a meal than a cleaner.

Me personally, I'm a fish guy and everything else is not heartbreaking if it is lost due to a favorite fish. I have polyps that are still sacrificed every now again by a curious Majestic Angel. If it were me, I'd get the trigger. They are a lot of fun to have and that is good one for a community in general.

I use to toss crab legs to my triggers. You could hear the cracking all over the house. And that was 6" long king crab legs I couldn't bust into. They demolished it. If they decide to, no invert is safe. Triggers are neat fish worth keeping, but as said above, they come equip to dispatch $25 shrimp one after the other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom