Blue tuxedo urchin, missing, presumed dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikestanked

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is what I found today, after about 3 days back from a 2 day vacation. It was found behind my LR, maybe it got stuck and couldn't get out?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120815_192011.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120815_192011.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 679
  • ForumRunner_20120815_192018.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120815_192018.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 363
How long have you had it? Those urchins can be notoriously sensitive(as I found out myself). Likely died of stress or lack of food. They're supposed to eat corraline and stuff like nori, but can be difficult to get eating.

--Adeeb

What kind of clean up crew do you have?? If it died and you,have a good crew, they could have eaten it in 3 days. It depends. I have personally never had a urchin die on me.

Live aquaria doesn't mention they eat urchins specifically, but they do eat other inverts. If the urchin died, the starfish and the shrimp could have polished him off in 3 days. Also, choc chip stars need a deep sand bed and large tank.

Rosesrblu1 said:
Live aquaria doesn't mention they eat urchins specifically, but they do eat other inverts. If the urchin died, the starfish and the shrimp could have polished him off in 3 days. Also, choc chip stars need a deep sand bed and large tank.

U thinking of a sand shifting star?

Kio, live aquaria doesn't say they eat urchins. They do say they eat coral, tube, worms, sponges, clams. I have 2 sand sifting stars, and they aren't predatory to other inverts.

OP... However,I did a bit more digging and another website. Fresh marine, does say they eat urchins. I would say your star is the culprit.

I have always wanted one, because they are very beautiful, but the cons for me outweigh the pros with this species

Rosesrblu1 said:
Kio, live aquaria doesn't say they eat urchins. They do say they eat coral, tube, worms, sponges, clams. I have 2 sand sifting stars, and they aren't predatory to other inverts.

OP... However,I did a bit more digging and another website. Fresh marine, does say they eat urchins. I would say your star is the culprit.

I have always wanted one, because they are very beautiful, but the cons for me outweigh the pros with this species

Was speaking on the DSB part. Never heard a CCS needed one.

I had a ccsf he ate my urchin ate a couple hermit crabs and murdered a nem ccsf I have no love for them

And to answer your question no check your lvls he prolly turned to a soup when the star couldn't eat all of him. You could have gotten a spike with rhat

Yeah my NO3 is high and my black clown goby is acting strange( not swimming, or going after food much) so I cleaned my glass and did a 15% water change yesterday. Soooo basically anybody want a ccsf, j/k but I do plan on getting rid of him once I switch to reef mode, probably around early next year. I was just tripped out that he was sucked out that fast, I don't know the anatomy of an urchin so I was surprised

Back
Top Bottom