Bottled Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoctorKewl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok heres the problem I am having. I have red slime algae in my tank. I'm cleaning it once a week so it doesn't get out of control and when I do water changed I use tap water that has been treated with a chemical that removes clorine and clorimide and it also sits for atleast 20 days before I use it which I doubt does anything to the water for my benefit. I use phosphate remover in my filter media which helped with the green algae but not the red. Now until I save more money for a RO/DI system will bottled water be better than my 20 day old tap water? I hear distilled is bad but want to know how pure the bottled water is. Any ideas?

Where did you hear distilled is bad? The only problem with it is that's it's expensive.

You would certainly be better off with bottled water as long as it's doesn't have anything added.. check labels and see if you can get RO water. Another option would be if your LFS sells it.

Why let it sit 20 days????? Are you running a PH in it. Could be bacteria growing in it just sitting around. Bottled water can be worse then tap water. Distilled would be better.
Red slime, excess nutrients, light spectrium and water flow. What kind of lights do you have and how old are the bulbs.

running (2) 65watt 10k and a (2) 65watt actinic bulbs are only 3 months old and i do need a better power head. The bottled watter i'm using is filtered through an RO system ans ozonation. Hope it works.

Back
Top Bottom