Bought some new fish today....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maporsche

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, actually on Sunday.

I bought:

1 Lionfish - approx 6in nose to tail
1 Stars/Stripes Puffer - approx 5in nose to tail
1 Humus Trigger - approx 4in nose to tail

This is in addition to my 3 damsels - approx 1in nose to tail

The LFS said to feed the lionfish 3 krill shimp daily, and the puffer & trigger 2 krill shrimp each daily. They said that they damsels would eat the leftovers (which they have been for 2 days now).

I'd just like to double check that I'm not over feeding my fish or underfeeding them. Thoughts?

And FYI, the tank is a fish only 120gal with a CC substrate.

Edited to change "brine" to "krill".

i would be feeding the lion a fresh water moly at least every 2 days dont now about the puffer but rest should be fine i would also keep my eye on the trigger as mine started 2 trash and eat my coral and also cleaned my live rock of all its little criters so now he lives alone

I wouldn't feed them live fish. Especially fw fish that could carry diseases. I doubt the lionfish will bother with brine. I would suggest feeding it on small pieces of raw shrimp. Using tongs or a feeding stick to feed. The puffer and trigger are gonna need shelled foods to keep their teeth in good condition. You could try some fresh clams or some unpeeled raw shrimp. You could also try stuffing empty clam shells with krill, scallops, squid, etc. Something they have work at. I would feed them twice a week or so. Also, keep a good eye on them. I've read where puffers and triggers will begin to nip at lionfish fins. This isn't always the case but there is the potential for problems. Good luck with your new charges.

Keep an eye on your water quality as you start feeding those additions. Between the three of'm, I think you've got some messy eaters - and collectively, you're talkin' about 15" of new fish all at once.

I did mean to say krill instead of brine. I am feeding them krill. Sorry about that.

Are there any options for cleaners with the fish I purchased?

I am going to do a water test tonight to make sure that it looks ok. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ok, final question for now.....would live rock help with the tank setup. I have no live rock now. How would I go about adding some, if needed?

it would if you dont have good enough biological filtration but if your tank is up and running and is doing ok just save yourself some money. If you want some rock just for deco look at thatpetplace.com's base rock since its 60 bux for 50 pounds (including shipping but you should email them first since i live in a different area so shipping might be different)

I would say so long damsels if i were you.

I would suggest investing in a good skimmer, you will need it. I would also add the fish a little more slowly.

Do you guys agree with the amount of food to be fed to the fish. Should I switch to twice per week, every other day, etc?

Current Feeding Schedule
Lion - 3 krill / day
Puffer - 2 krill / day
Trigger - 2 krill / day

And what about a cleaning crew? Would larger emerald crabs do alright?

I would feed them about every third day. Feeding them every day isn't necessary. As for cleanup, I have no idea. I have no experience with puffers or triggers. I know shrimp would be on the menu so they are a bad choice. Snails I would think may or may not get eaten. I think you'd be ok with a serpent or brittle star to help with clean up of uneaten food. Oh, crabs would be a tasty treat as well.

puffers and trigger will bite the brittle/serpents arms as the reach out from under thier hiding spot mabey an erchin (if thats how you spell it) may be ok probably only the ones with the long black spikes though

Back
Top Bottom