brass needle valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buklau

Aquarium Advice Regular
want to use a brass needle valve for the air intake for my protein skimmer. Since it wont be in the water will it be ok to use it? I am worried about killing my corals. I know brass has copper in it and copper is horrible for corals. what do yall think?

I would avoid putting any metalic objects in the tank other then high grade stainless or titanium.

If it isn't going to touch seawater and used to regulate air, there should be no problem. But advice already given to stay away from metal is good.

Mrc8858 said:
I would avoid putting any metalic objects in the tank other then high grade stainless or titanium.

Id use a plastic valve just to be safe but i dont think it would affect water without water running thru it

In my sump there's always a lot of splashing and stuff. Even my skimmer gets salt creep to te bottom of the collection cup. So I personally would stay away from brass cuz it could splash and rust it up quick, and could be a chance rust will fall into the water or other problems like that. I personally wouldn't take the chance, but it's not my tank! Lol

Back
Top Bottom