Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David S

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

A quick question for those running this site,When are you going to start a section just for breeding??

I ask because my clowns are now laying and although there are forums out there just for breeding which are very informative they just dont have the reponse like this site,

So please maybe a vote is in order??

I don't have any say about what new sections may or may not be added, but breeding saltwater fish is something very few successfully do. Clownfish laying eggs is very common. My mated pair have been laying eggs for well over 5 yrs. The easy part is getting them to lay eggs. The hard part, which involves more work than most people care to undertake, is growing the food to feed the fry. Another thing to consider is, if you are successful in raising them, what would you do with them? Common percs or occ's won't be hot sellers. Now if you can cross breed some fancy, high priced perc's or occ's and come up with a good looking hybrid, you would have a much better chance in selling them.
Manhattan Reefs - The Odd Couple (A. percula "Onyx" X A. ocellaris "Darwin")

I really don't think there would be much interest in a forum like that here. If you are really serious about raising clown fry, there are many books and other forums which are dedicated to breeding/raising clowns.

Again, I have no say it what new forums may be created...that is just my opinion. :)

Last edited:
You may want to check out some of the threads here.. Breeders Corner - Atlanta Reef Club Forums

A few of the members there have been very successful at raising various clowns. Like Larry said, it can be a ton of work. But it is realistic at the hobby level now and baby fish are always cool. :)

Thanks for the reply's,and I can understand that breeding will be hard but when you start out in marine it is hard but with AA members help and advice it becomes a lot easier,as for other websites they just dont have the support or users online like AA.As for moving them on it'll probably take a long time before i can raise them long enough to move them on but 2 of the LFS I use will exchange for credit as I already do with chaeto.Plus captive is always better

Back
Top Bottom