breeding the ocellaris clownfish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wimmerm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
has any of the members breed the ocellaris clownfish. if so pleas give detail on how & what to do to breed and rasie.ive been reading and searching, i have a 46 inch bowl front with 1-ocellaris clownfish, 1- hippo tang , 1-yellow tang , 1- royal gramma basslet , 2- spoted puffers , 1-tiger striped serpent sea star. 1-chocolate chip star , 9-hermit crabs , 9-snails, 1-condi anemone , 1 -rock anemone ,1-curly q anemone , and a bounch of baby feather dusters taking over.LOL

the tank i have for breeding is a 55 gallon , gonna have two hang on power filters , heater , 1 power head , 40 lbs of crushed coral , a tank divider all the way over to one side ,just a fraction where i can place the larve when ready with no coral on bottom of tank , & two ocellaris clownfish , maybe a rug anemone and i little living live rock.

does this sound possable ?

Breeding clown fishes is not easy at all. in reading your post it seems like you don't have a bonded pair of ocellaris yet. Now would be a good time to buy, burrow, or rent a book on clownfishs behaviors and breeding. Clown fishes can take as long as a year to become a mated pair and spawn if the given conditions are right for their needs.
Joyce Wilkersons Clownfish book is a good starting book with lots of info and how to setup up for breeding clowns.

Good luck.

Sure it sounds possible, but you would need an established pair.

The 3 main ways of acheving this are

1-buy a naturally mated pair form your pet store. If your lucky they might be spawning already

2-Buy 4 juvenilles and raise them to create there own pair(s)

3-Buy 2 of greatly differing sizes

I assume you already know how sexing works in clownfish, and with a stress free environment, clownfish is supposed to be the easiest marine fish to breed. But this is all information based on what ive learned. I am also trying to breed clownfish in a 55g tank when i have the money.

btw you will need a good light for your anemone

Good luck

-Jarrod

Back
Top Bottom