bright green Duncan coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scott5s4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had this Duncan coral for a few months now and was wondering why it turned this bright green color and if it is a bad thing

ForumRunner_20131023_195204.jpg

I don't think that's a ducan I think it may be a walking dendrophyllia

I know it's a Duncan because when I bought it it had the Duncan colors and everything. it changed a lot

It definetly doesn't show the skeletal structure of any Duncan I've ever seen. Walking dendros have a extremely similar natural color to Duncan's and grow more in a "clump" instead of branching like duncans. Do you have any closer pictures or pictures from when you purchased it?

Duncan's grow in clumps as well, if it was a walking dendro it would move. The walking dendro usually just grows extra mouths and not heads like a Duncan would. Flip the coral over and look for a hole where the symbiotic worm would be. If it's not there it is not a walking dendro. It just seems like a very odd Duncan

Well it's attached to a plug so I can't see under and it doesn't move. Could it be bleached?

Well it's attached to a plug so I can't see under and it doesn't move. Could it be bleached?

That answers the walking dendro question right there lol. It could be. What lights are you running? Maybe move it to a little lower light and see if it gets the normal color back.

Attachments

• image-3977450497.jpg
    image-3977450497.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 140
Nice pic! I'm running t5s 2 actinic and and 2 daylights I think they are 10k and the Duncan is at the very bottom of the tank and always has been. I got a new Duncan over the weekend and I put that one under a rock a little so it wouldn't get so Mich light. It's weird because my older one got a little smaller bit kept growing heads. It satarted with one and now it has 6

I'd say your Duncan is wanting more light. Move it up some in the tank. This is especially true for the other Duncan you shaded from the light. A 4 bulb t5ho can support easier Lps like this, it just needs to be mid range in the tank. This should begin solving the color issue you are having as well as see more extension from the tentacles on the polyps.

Side note, how is the flow in the tank? These guys like their tentacles to wave gently and it doesn't look like they get to at all. Increasing flow may also be of benefit.

They are called walking dendros because in nature they form a symbiotic relationship with another invert (I beleive a type of crab) and "walk". The specimens we have in our tanks wont actually move. I have seen walking dendros in a similar coloration to duncan's and in bright green. If I was you I would be happy it was that because they are a pretty new and generally expensive peice

Apologies its a symbiotic relationship with a worm that does not survive in captivity.

It isn't a walking dendro...that is a duncan that is upset and quite possibly working towards bleaching out. Walking dendros don't have a stalk or multiple heads.

Ok thanks for the info guys I'll mocmve them up and see how they do

No problem. Duncans are one of my favorite corals in my aquarium. So much I have 2 of them, just of different coloration. My largest is a green/green just like yours. It is normal for it to glow some under the blue actinic lighting. Yours just needs a tad more light and it should do well.

Back
Top Bottom