Bristle/fire worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just sit any live rock outside in the sun for a few days. Safe way to kill most everything off. Just realize the die off will need to be dealt with before reusing.

Agree that the worms we typically see don't eat live corals, but they will scavenge any dead tissues and just about anything organic. If you see them eating live polyps, then you got a problem. There are thousands of different variety among worms in the ocean. The vast majority don't touch corals. Thank heavens.

I've noticed when we get goniopora at work the longer the tentacles the shorter they last.

They are flow sensitive. Check out any facility that cultivates them. They have some pretty specific needs. In the 80's they were among the most popular corals because we mistakenly believed that their tendency to last a while before dying was considered a good thing. Now we realize they take special conditions to propagate.

Ohh nice! That's a sweet deal for a 12" toad. It will be a much better starter coral than goniopora

Yes, I've read stories on other forums of people ending up in the hospital after boiling their rocks. Zoanthids/palythoas have a very potent toxin that will go in the air when boiled, and even if you don't think there's any on your rocks i'd still be concerned just in case.

The safest way to go would be to bleach them in a container outside. I did this with my rocks a while back. I found a specific method online that I used, don't remember it anymore though. It does take patience though, because the rocks need to be rinsed and soaked in clean water several times to remove all the bleach.

Definitely won't leave any life behind though... And rocks end up looking white and new.

Oh, we'll apologies then. I'll have to look into this.

Back
Top Bottom