Bristle worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RionPanchi010

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lately I have been noticing two different bristle worms in my 60 gallon tank. I have been reading about them and some people say they are bad and others say they don't do any harm. I have a cleaner shrimp and I know coral banded shrimps eat these worms but I love my shrimp and I can't have them both. Are the worms a threat? If so how do I get rid of them without having to get rid of my precious shrimp? Thanks for your advice!:ermm:

Bristleworms are no threat to your tank. They're a good addition to a cuc. If you just don't like them for whatever reason, they make bristleworm traps you can get to remove them with. :)

Harmless janitors, mostly in the sand or in your rock eating detritus and leftover food. You'll notice if you're not over-feeding they don't appear very often.

Don't worry about them, good guys to have. Just now make sure you wear gloves when inside the tank, those bristles are by no means soft! (They might be, but they definitely will hurt you :lol:)

Thanks. How do I know if they are fire worms I heard those are way worse and I don't want to endanger my other animals.:)

Sorry but one more question can the worms reproduce? I know you carry them in with the rocks from your pet store but can you be breeding them without even knowing it?:confused:

Very much so, keep feedings down and you won't have to worry.

I had a bunch and cut down on feeding and they dwindled significantly

Back
Top Bottom