Bristle Worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
A bristle worm in my tank has grown to quite a destructive size. It is about 1 foot long and probably 3 to 4mm in diameter. I know it lives within a piece of LR which I couldn't get to. I have tried setting up a trap last night using a tube capped at both ends and a hole drilled through one of the ends with a some bait in it. But when I checked it out this morning, the bait was gone and no worm. It must have gotten out after it's meal.

So whats the best way of catching a bristle worm?

If you have a BRISTLE WORM that is a foot long in you tank, Please!!! pull an all nighter and get pictures of that bad boy :lol: IMO you should go down to the harbor and barrow a crab pot :wink:

Perhaps the hole that you drilled in the trap was too big? They can squeez through a prety small space even for a monster like that!
Good luck,
Jason

Also, Most of the traps that I have used, have a chamber in the middle that is capped off. This way the plankton doesn't float to the end where the worms can eat and go!
Jason

I finally got him last night. I used a fish trap with a chamber at the opposite end of the hole. So that the worm couldn't eat the bait without having to go all the way in. This morning, I find him desperately looking for way out. Sorry I don't have a photo, but is about a foot long and very thick. I got up at 2am and 4pm with a touch, but couldn't see the little devil until 7am.

The problem I had with him was that he is always crawling on my BTA, causing the BTA to close up. Thats because the BTA is attached to the LR the worm is hiding in. Now I wonder if there are anymore.

You didn't get a picture? I thought it was great that the guy from Oregon Reef posted the picture of the 7 footer that he pulled from his tank. My bristle worm is about 4 or 5" long. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about him if (when?! LOL) he gets to be a foot. As it is, I think he's doubled in size since he went into the tank on 11/17!

I could remember when he was still tiny about 6 months ago. And boy has he grown! I didn't have a digital camera about so I couldn't take a photo. Otherwise, he would have made a nice addition to my album. Yes, I saw the 7 footer and he was ugly :lol:

Back
Top Bottom