broken sump/fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I go to set up my new sump/fuge and quickly realize that something is wrong. It has two broken parts...hmm, how do I explain this? On the inside the plastic peices that section off the mud are broken (it was shipped). I am calling tommorrow to see if it can be replaced...but before going threw all that...can I fix it? What kind of glue am i looking for...couldn't find acrylic glue, is that the stuff I want? I can send pictures to whoever asks so you have a better idea of what I am talking about.

TIA

Mary

So sorry to hear that. I don't know much about acrylic, but i'm sure someone will offer up some good advice.

BTW, I sent you some chaeto and you should have it by Wednesday. If you're fuge isn't ready, just put it in SW or if you can rig something to keep it from getting moved around with the current, just put it in the main tank.

Jim

it sounds like the baffles are broken. you can use weldon to "glue" new baffles in place. i was able to buy weldon from a place that builds plastic/acrylic items. they also sell tools and accessories. i am not sure where you will be able to find it in your area. perhaps you can do a search online. you can also buy the acrylic at homedepot. i understand your situation... on the one hand you would like to send it back to the vendor. on the other hand, the cost in time and expense makes you want to just repair it yourself.

at any rate, let us know what you decided to do.

Jim,

Oh cool, so I can put it in tank water in the mean time. Do I let it float or do I sumerge it? I have a breeder container maybe that would work. Also thanks for the sea lettuce too, do I need to "plant" any of this or just let it float? I'm kinda bummed that I won't be setting it up tonight, but this weekend hopefully I will have it figured out. I have a couple pounds of garfs sump mud on the way and should be here tommorrow. Gonna have to find a plastic container to set it in then put it in the main, hopefully it won't go all over the place....any ideas???

guitardad,

you are exactly right...if I find out tommorrow that I have to send it back and wait for it to be shipped again I am going to serouisly consider repairing it. But, on the other hand, what if it breaks because it is not repaired correctly and then I am stuck with it?

The breeder container would be perfect. The macros that i sent you dont root, they just float. The don't necessarily float at the top, they just kind of hang in the middle and towards the top of my fuge. If you use the breeder container, it will keep them all together. The only thing with the chaeto is that if a direct current is on it, it will break it up and push little pieces around the tank. Otherwise it kind of sticks together.

Good luck with the sump,
Jim

Well since Alex (my husband) was going to miami today I let him take the sump so he could swap it out for me. Easy fix right? When my husband calls to do this they tell him that they don't allow people in their warehouse :( . My husband doesn't return from miami till Friday so UPS is going to come on Monday and I should have the new sump on Tuesday. Pretty fast turnover rate though I am impressed. If I had kept the sump at home I could have had the new one tommorrow :lol: . Funny, I tried to escape the waiting game and screwed myself in the end. No big deal, it will get here. Hopefully the macro will do ok until then. It should right, since I am suspending it in a breeder box or will it be too much light?

Back
Top Bottom