brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barracuda

Aquarium Advice Regular
okay, I have a recently set up tank, (about 1 month now), I have 50 lbs of LR, a DSB, 20 blue legged hermits and 1 false percula clown. running 2 powerheads an aquaclear 201 and an 802, I am using a saline solutions 24 inch protien skimmer, its a hang on model with a powerhead just for it(Rio 800). Lighting is 1 30in power-glo and 1 30in marine-glo. ammonia,nitrite and nitrate are at 0, I checked yesterday, my problem is yesterday morning the tank looked great then when i got home at night most of the rock was covered in brown algae(at least I think its brown algae). I haven't done a water change for about 10 days. is there any snail or crab that will eat this stuff?

Can you post some pics of the brown alge so I know what my tank is going to look like soon. lol.. :)

First off, I can't post pics cuz I'm livin in the stone age here, no digital camera. Next, I use tap water for top offs, I put it in a bucket with a heater and powerhead and salt. but I haven't topped off for 10 days. I just bought 5 turbo snails last night and they are cutting through the stuff like crazy, I never thought they would eat it so fast, guess that's why they're called TURBO snails.

To elaborate on what Mansiz said: The water you loose in your tank is from evaporation. Salt does not evaporate, just the water. If you are adding more salt water to top it off, you will be raising the SG of your water everytime you top it off...not good. Top off using fresh water. Don't know if you meant water changes instead of top offs. water change = SW...top offs=FW. Also, try using RO water for your top offs. This will help to get rid of the algae problems. Fresh water is loaded with junk that will cause algae :wink:

ok, I meant during changes I use sw, the tank doesn't have too much evaporation. I do not have the equipment for RO, and can't afford anything too expensive right now so I either use spring water or filtered tap water.

Look around and see if any of the grocery stores in your area sell RO water by the gallon....you can bring a container and fill it up at the machines. I used this method until I could buy an ro unit. I remember paying something like 25 cents per gallon :lol:

I started my new tank 2 weeks ago with 80lbs of LR. 5 days later I had a large diatom bloom. The stuff is an eyesore, but it didn't hurt anything. Over the last 5 days or so it's been slowly going away. The diatoms that were on the bank of my tank are starting to peel off in small strips.

Last night I bought a Yellow Tang and he wasn't in the tank 5 minutes before he started eating the brown and green hair algae on a few of my rocks. It was about half to three quarters of an inch long. It's almost not there now. The Tang took care of that in a hurry. So I had to buy some dry green algae tonight. :D

To make a long story longer I was pretty upset about my diatom bloom. I was told on here it would likely go away as it is a result of cycling. Everyone was right it's going and hopefully it will soon be gone.

Well thanks to all for the advice, I was worried about getting a yellow tang because of their size, but I will look into getting RO from a grocer around here!

Back
Top Bottom