Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a ton of brown algae all over my sand. What is the best fish or invert that eats this algae?

Thanks

It is probably diatoms which are caused by silicates. I used red leg reef hermits some turbo snails and nassaruas snails. No more diatom problems.

red leg hermit crabs and turbo snails fixed my algae problem right up. Watch using tap water to fill your tank that was the cause of my algae. Added a water filter and it has not been back since

I have the same problem too. I have about 30 snails in there now and its been two days since i put them in there. Still brown alge

Not all snails or crabs will eat this algae. Is it a new tank? If so it should go away on its own over a shot time period

i use a scraper to sift the sand almost daily because of tap water usage (high nitrates and silicates and phosphates). then use a magnetic cleaner to get the glass daily.

this plus regular water changes -- additions -- seems to knock it down alot.

eventually, they say, that the coraline algae will keep the brown algae down.

good water flow helps my tank alot and filter cleaning (since the filter sponges et. al. are a cause of much of the algae).

Back
Top Bottom