brown diatom algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hobbes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just started a new 40 gal FOWLR tank. I have had the live rock in there for about 5 days, and its starting to show some brown color, from my limited research I am assuming it is brown diatom algae? Some part of the rock have small bubbles which will float to the surface.

How normal is this? Is there something I should be doing to prevent/get rid of it?

Thanks!

you need to check your phosphate levels and see where they are. Keep your nitrates down and use ro/di water if you arent already. Think about cutting the lighting time of your tank down and do you have snails/hermits or any kind of clean up crew?

no snails or hermits, just have some damsels in there. Running 2 65w bulbs about 10 hours a day. I purchased the marine water 5 days ago from my LFS and haven't done a water change yet. Just ordered a RO/DI filter off of Ebay this weekend so hopefully will have it this week.

If it matters, once cycled I plan on having 4-5 fish (pair of perculas, and a couple other undecided fish) as well as a couple cleaner shrimp.

Thanks again.

speaking of lighting diatoms are not fueled by light are they?? i was under the impression they are not algae

If I remember, diatoms are a brown algae. They feed of of light and silicates that can be brought in sand or water supplies. They are a normal appearance usually a few weeks after a tank has cycled. Diatoms will most likely disappear over time as they deplete their food source (assuming it is not constantly replenished by using tap or contaminated source water).

Back
Top Bottom