Brown sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loynzey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can some one tell what this brownness on my sand is called and how I get rid of the problem?

Attachments

• image-2531634158.jpg
    image-2531634158.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 163
Diatoms, how established is your tank, it usually is found in newer aquariums. Are you using RO water? Vacuum it out.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Looks like diatoms to me also. Sometimes cyano will start out brown. I too would siphon it out just in case.

Tanks been running since early December 2010 I do syphon it with a gravel cleaner when I do a WC but with in the week it grows back! Yes I use RO water

It may just go away as the tank matures, are your nitrates at 0? You could try cutting back on the lighting a little bit each day...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Deff. Diatoms. How much water flow do you have. I had a similar problem when my tank was just starting but put 2 MaxiJet 1200s in there and have been good ever since

I have 3 red legged hermit crabs and 6 cowrie snails.

stock sera flow pump stp 1000 feeding a spray bar.
And ive also added a newave pump which says on in l/h 750-1400

my sand looks like that too but my tank is only a month old. Im hoping that they go away soon. I have to clean it off the glass once a week or so...maybe less

Back
Top Bottom