Brown Sand in Refuge.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckane

Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting to get Brown sand in my fuge......I have a 2" LSB with Chaeto and a few mangroves....this brown sand is starting in my main tank too.
Just upgraded from a 29 gal to 38 gal with sump/fuge....tank only 2 weeks old......Used all my old sand plus 30lb new and used all my live rock from old tank plus 20 lbs base rock
Could this be caused from being a new setup.?....or it normal.?

Attachments

• dsc02046.jpg
    dsc02046.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 61
Could be a diatoms outbreak due to the move. Did you notice if you had a mini cycle after moving? That happens sometimes after mixing things up. Just kinda throws the tank out of balance for a short time. If it's slimy in texture, it could be the beginning of cyano, which could also be caused by mixing things up. Either way with good water parameters, it should burn itself out in a short time. I'd give it a few days and watch.

I think it looks like diatom algae... Probably from the new sand.....what kind of sand? Like fluff says it should go away in a few days to weeks.

CaribSea Aragamax this is old sand in the fuge.......maybe mixed up a bit with the move...........30 lbs new sand on bottom of main tank......50 lbs old sand on top of that.....10 lbs base rock......its only been a week since the move I will give it a few more weeks......water test all fine maybe just a mini cycle

are you using tap water?,i usually get a big outbreak when i do 1 or 2 big waterchanges so im shure it will clear up in no time using a phospate/silicate remover helps alot too.

Back
Top Bottom