Bryopsis... Any help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've confirmed that the algae in my tank is once again bryopsis.. I don't know what I should do.. I do two 10% water changes a week for a thirty gallon reef with a clarkii clown, camel back shrimp, and a pajama cardinal. I have a 20 gallon sump with skimmer and fuge. I have gfo media, but not a reactor. I use ppurigen in my tank. It's barebottom so I can just suck up any detritus, and the stuff I miss goes into a filter sock that is washed out weekly. Help me please!!

I have already tried raising my mag with kent m, it didn't really help me.

Bryopsis, once established is pretty hard to get rid of, I still have a outbreak of it in my algae scrubber. It needs nutrients to grow, so it's the usual suspects, over feeding and or inefficient extraction of organic wastes. Sounds like you are doing everything you can, what do you feed and how often?

Gregcoyote said:
Bryopsis, once established is pretty hard to get rid of, I still have a outbreak of it in my algae scrubber. It needs nutrients to grow, so it's the usual suspects, over feeding and or inefficient extraction of organic wastes. Sounds like you are doing everything you can, what do you feed and how often?

Well see, I went extreme to get rid of it. I gave all of my fish away and went barebottom because it got so bad. I finally had it cleared up and now that I have fish, it's creeping back. I feed once a day, but not much.

Sniperhank said:
Updated pic of it? The last one you showed looked more like hair algae.

I can't get a close enough pic, but bryopsis is a type of hair algae. It's much harder to pull off the rocks and grows kinda mat like in clumps. It's completely off the left side of my tank, but the right is getting worse.

Yes, it is "brissly" and comes off in clumps. Easier to remove than hair algae at least! It is a good exporter of organics as well.

Gregcoyote said:
Yes, it is "brissly" and comes off in clumps. Easier to remove than hair algae at least! It is a good exporter of organics as well.

Well easier to manually remove I guess, but I swear its impossible to kill the stuff. And I guess that's on way to look at it haha! But I'm worried about it affecting the health of my corals. (Ex: strangling them out)

Sniperhank said:
Dude, I still don't know why you feed daily. Twice a week and my fish are fat.

Well I feed very little, unless I'm using my frozen mixture, where I spot feed the fish.
But twice a week?? Maybe I should start... Idk

needmorecowbell said:
Well I feed very little, unless I'm using my frozen mixture, where I spot feed the fish.
But twice a week?? Maybe I should start... Idk

Yes, I agree. If you have a massive filtration system, you can feed more. Especially with a algae scrubber like mine. But in smaller systems, you really need to control food intake. If you are feeding home brew mash, it is loaded with protein, so a little goes a long way. Rule of thumb is that the herbivores need to browse constantly to get enough to eat, but the omnivores and carnivores only get an occasional snack in the wild. So more nori sheets, less protein.

Gregcoyote said:
Yes, I agree. If you have a massive filtration system, you can feed more. Especially with a algae scrubber like mine. But in smaller systems, you really need to control food intake. If you are feeding home brew mash, it is loaded with protein, so a little goes a long way. Rule of thumb is that the herbivores need to browse constantly to get enough to eat, but the omnivores and carnivores only get an occasional snack in the wild. So more nori sheets, less protein.

Well I'm sure that will help me with my algae then. But do clownfish, shrimp, or cardinal fish eat nori?

needmorecowbell said:
Well I'm sure that will help me with my algae then. But do clownfish, shrimp, or cardinal fish eat nori?

They nibble at it, but even they don't need to eat but 2-3 times a week. Especially when your tank gets older, they will find some stuff to eat on the reef itself.

I feed every other day. Just a pinch of flakes. Maybe 20-25 flakes and a smaller pinch of brine I have 4 clowns 4 chromis 2 tangs cleaner wrasse and a dottyback there is also a bag of macro hanging where the tangs can nibble at it all the time.

Reeffanman said:
I feed every other day. Just a pinch of flakes. Maybe 20-25 flakes and a smaller pinch of brine I have 4 clowns 4 chromis 2 tangs cleaner wrasse and a dottyback there is also a bag of macro hanging where the tangs can nibble at it all the time.

Oh alright, I can start doing that definitely.

Just found out my skimmer isn't working, bubbles aren't pumping out which means something is clogged. It will be tons of fun getting it out of the tank..

needmorecowbell said:
i blew in it a while ago. its pushes out bubbles, but its hard for me to blow in it.

I ended up replacing my airline completely since its so cheap but try taking it off and blowing RO water thru it with a syringe.

Mrc8858 said:
I ended up replacing my airline completely since its so cheap but try taking it off and blowing RO water thru it with a syringe.

Alright I'll try that thanks. I'm thinking its closer to the base of the skimmer, but Idk. I'll look at it tomorrow, I'm completely drained lol.

needmorecowbell said:
Alright I'll try that thanks. I'm thinking its closer to the base of the skimmer, but Idk. I'll look at it tomorrow, I'm completely drained lol.

I run hot ro thru skimmer airhose it helps get the clogs out real well

Back
Top Bottom