BTA Splitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchell0605

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had a BTA anemone for about 6 months now and it hasn't split once. I've read some things about some anemones splitting 2-3 times in 6 months. Any reason as to why mine hasn't. All paras have been perfect from day one. It has moved around but hasn't moved for about 2 months now and gets regular food. (Everyday it catches some Brine Shrimp) Any suggestions?

It's fine it really doesn't need to split. The only time it would ever split if it's stress or if it feels like it I've seen BTA and G/RBTA grow full size without splitting it's really up to the Nem if it want to repopulate itself. But I heard feeding it more will result in it splitting as well. HTH

Some people have suggested that they split during times of stress. They do this to propagate more to protect the species. Be glad that your`s is not splitting.

No one knows for sure why BTA's split 'naturally' anymore than we can predict if clowns will host in them. I have one GBTA that has split once in about 3 years (induced) and a RBTA that split (Same tank) after about 3 weeks of it being in my tank for no apparent reason. Myself and others have successfully induced splitting (Or you can venture to frag a nem), but if your question is strictly focused on why it has not split on its own, the answer is, no one really knows. However, in my opinion, our role as keepers is to provide the best possible captive conditions and enjoy the animals we have chosen to place in our tanks...Let nature take its course form there. Best of luck!

Thanks guys. Didn't know about the stress induced. Glad it hasn't now! I've been a bit rough with it sometimes too when I moved from my glass on 5 different occasions!

Back
Top Bottom