Bubble algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toomanyfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone!

My problems all started after I bought a piece of Marshall Island rock. First were the strange little green anemones....kind of cute until I found out they were majano anemones! (I still have a few of them hanging around...). Then there was the flatworm outbreak, and now it's bubble algae. I've managed to keep things under control for the most part. Mostly doing physical removal of the offending critters. But this bubble algae just won't stop! The worst part is that they tend to get into tight crevices where I can't get at them so they end up spreading. I have read that the emerald crab will sometimes eat bubble algae, yet I've heard of them eating other things too.....so if you have any feedback on them I'd appreciate it! My biggest concern with regards to the crabs eating other things is my flower anemone. This was a hitchhiker on another piece of rock that I've raised from a nickel size baby to a (now) 4" adult that I am very attached to. The only other corals in this tank are some mushrooms and porities coral. Other inverts are featherdusters, snails, cuke. Also have 4 small fish and shrimp. This is a 20g so I'm limited on what I can put in there.
Thanks!!

Hmmm, a 20g makes the Zebrsoma desjardeni a bad choice, I have read that emerald crabs and manual removal are your options. If possible, use needle nose pliars and rock the bubble back and forth, until it is removed from the rock. Try not to bust the bubble all the spores are contained in the bubble. You can also remove the rock and scrub the algae off.

That's the problem, the only way I can get into the crevices would mean that I would end up breaking the bubbles. What a pain this is......

Oh and Kevin, I was checking out your photos....that dog of yours is HUGE! I can see why your kids mistake her for a pony, put a saddle on her and I'd be confused too! :lol:
Very nice reef tank you have there, (I love your elegance coral what a beauty!) and I like your jaguar cichlids too!

Remove them the best you can. Like RR said, try not to break the bubbles but if you need to burst the bubble to get it out, then so be it. Spores are only contained in mature bubbles so the sooner you get it out the better off you will be. Oftentimes animals that can't eat the bubble whole will feast on a broken bubble.

Ditto!! BG & RR,
with the 20 gal your limited to emerald crabs or Manule removal. :(

Another point to keep in mind is that emerald crabs also burst open the bubbles so you're just as well of extracting them yourself.

If you're worried about the big ones, go down to your local drug store and pic up a box of insulin syringe's. You can extract the liquid from the bubble using the syringe.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom