Bubble algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
It looks like my tank is having a bubble algae bloom. They are growing on every piece of LR. And they are so difficult to remove. Can anyone tell me what is the cause of this and whether I should just leave it alone or try removing them as much as I can?

Do you have macro competing with it? If not it will grow to it's hearts content. I have it in my tank too. It kind of cycles. Sometime's it's everywhere, other times just a few large ones. Just be carefull not to break them.

What are macro? Are they like micro algae? If so I have. Unfortunately, I have burst quite a few of them while removing them. Will tang or butterfy eat them?

ditto with f-dean- get an emeral or 2 (depending on tank size) and the bubbles will be gone. I have 1 emerald in a 40. they are cheep too..

macro is short for macroalgae. It is not the same as microalgae which is hair algae and the green film on the glass. Caulerpa (various kinds) will grow fast, eat up the nutrients, and can be "harvested" or thrown away. Removing some macralgae is the same as removing nutrients. It will compete for nutrients with the bubble algae allowing you to get it under control. Nutrient control is key to managing algae.

anyone know a good way to get emralds off rocks, ive had to fight with mine to transfer him he really i quit strong. and 1" id hate to see a big one

I bought my first emerald today. Didn't know what to expect, but pretty cute though. And the guy at LFS had difficulty getting one off the rock as well. They are quite strong and I would'nt like to think what damage they could do to my livestock. :D

my emerald caught my damsell for just a secound but he was asking for it slaps other fish hermits with tail.

my emerald caught my damsell for just a secound but he was asking for it slaps other fish hermits with tail.

Right I better keep an eye on him then.

I have been watching my emerald since I released him into my main tank. He is working on my bubble algae immediately, but he is also eating my coralline algae which is not a good thing. Is it normal for an emerald to eat coralline or is he just trying out the taste? Where he has been snipping the coralline has left white holes, very unsightly.

Back
Top Bottom