Bubble tip anemone bubbles experiment!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My Little Ocean

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys i have had a bubble tip anemone for some time now and it never has had bubbles,
I have in the past tried everything to get it to bubble from flow, light intensity, different spectrums too and feeding but always stayed the same, it has stayed in current conditions for a couple of months and just started feeding pieces of scallop and fed using a tooth pick and gently running the food through the tentacles to get a feeding response and a hold of the food then also fighting with it trying to imitate a caught fish if you get my drift rather than just basting mysis which mine likes and after only 2 feedings in a week it has developed bubbles almost on all tentacles just wondered if you guys out there would maybe like to try this and let me know how it goes to hopefully clarify this wasn't coincidence and more of a reaction and we can pass on our findings! :)

I would love to know also! My anemone just looks like waving sticks. Lol

I've got a rose tip that is fine; most likely b/c of my clowns hosting it and bringing it food. I've got a green tip that I added a few days ago that has straight tentacles. I'll try it out and see what happens once it finds a comfortable spot on the rocks.

some days my BTA has bubbles and some days he doesn't he always looks healthy, flowing, open my Maroon Clown stays in him or around him brings him foos etc.

I'm guessing by the lack of responses to the thread that it was coincidence in my case oh well never mind I'm happy :) it was worth a shot.

Anemones don't have brains so tugging on the food to mimic a caught fish shouldn't have any effect. The fact that the tentacles are not bubbled is no indication of poor health or less than ideal environment. I've gotten in completely bleached white BTA's that were bubbled and over time they colored up beautifully and lost their bubbles.
I would love to know the reason for the bubble/not bubble thing though. I always thought it was a light issue. My theory is that the anemone will swell and bubble up to increase surface area to absorb light. Putting one in many of our tanks with ample lighting would negate the need for the bubbling. Just a thought.

mr_X said:
Anemones don't have brains so tugging on the food to mimic a caught fish shouldn't have any effect. The fact that the tentacles are not bubbled is no indication of poor health or less than ideal environment. I've gotten in completely bleached white BTA's that were bubbled and over time they colored up beautifully and lost their bubbles.
I would love to know the reason for the bubble/not bubble thing though. I always thought it was a light issue. My theory is that the anemone will swell and bubble up to increase surface area to absorb light. Putting one in many of our tanks with ample lighting would negate the need for the bubbling. Just a thought.

Good theory. It may also be flow sensitive. The bubbles might cause too much turbulence and vibration when the flow is high. Many of my soft corals will shorten up when flow is high.

I wish there was a definitive reason why they bubble up or not, my gbta is huge and I like the look of him bubbled up more.

I have a green and a red side by side, the red sometimes bubbles and the green has never, 2 identical environment with 2 different results

Back
Top Bottom