Bubbles Galore!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnd4g

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got millions of tiny bubbles everywhere in my tank and can't seem to get rid of them. Most of them seem to originate from the HOB filter, but when I shut it off the powerheads seem to discharge some as well. I keep the water level high and the biowheel in the filter rotates at a slow speed. I've tried adjusting the filter and powerhead outflow rates but nothing seems to help. I use a bubble eliminator box for my protein skimmer and that works well. I wish there was something similar for the other devices. I'd like to clear things up in the tank so if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
John

johnd4g said:
I've got millions of tiny bubbles everywhere in my tank and can't seem to get rid of them. Most of them seem to originate from the HOB filter, but when I shut it off the powerheads seem to discharge some as well. I keep the water level high and the biowheel in the filter rotates at a slow speed. I've tried adjusting the filter and powerhead outflow rates but nothing seems to help. I use a bubble eliminator box for my protein skimmer and that works well. I wish there was something similar for the other devices. I'd like to clear things up in the tank so if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
John

Powerhead, if it has an air tube thingy remove it and if you remove it and bubbles continue submerge it deeper, mineis fully submergable so it is fully submurged aimed up at the surface.

Thanks for the comments FlyingLO and midol. The problem isn't with the protein skimmer, its working fine with the bubble eliminator box; no bubbles there. I run my powerheads without the air intake tube and the intake is located about two to three inches below the surface of the water.

The problem is with your protein skimmer. Adjust is so that the flow is decreased slightly to your skimmer. Its the only thing pulling in oxygen, and typically creates a plethora of micro-bubbles.... the bubble eliminator box will only help reduce things. You shouldn't have bubbles without the box anyway...

I've been trying to do as you suggested 'schoeplein' but no luck. In fact, I shut off the protein skimmer for awhile and no change to the bubbles at all. They really do seem to be a product of the filter more than anything else. The rotation speed of the biowheel has some affect on the quantity of bubbles. However, its already spinning very slowly and I'm still getting these darn bubbles. I'll keep experimenting with the equipment but any more suggestions are welcome.

Is the filter new? I have noticed when ever I put something new in I would get the micro bubbles for a few days.

On a side note.. How do you like your coralife 36" I have been thinking about getting the same one. Do you have a hood?

schoeplein said:
The problem is with your protein skimmer. Adjust is so that the flow is decreased slightly to your skimmer. Its the only thing pulling in oxygen, and typically creates a plethora of micro-bubbles.... the bubble eliminator box will only help reduce things. You shouldn't have bubbles without the box anyway...

Hey there, Schoeplein, I have the same problem. I have two powerheads about 2 inches from the surface of the water and mhy skimmer, I have a lot of bubbles. It seems when I turn off the powerheads to feed the fish, I get bubbles when I turn the powerheads back on. They are coming from the skimmer, but the powerheads seem to make them worse. I don't use the airplines to the powerheads, so the skimmer is the only thing pulling air.

My question is, if I turn down my skimmer enough so I don't get bubbles, then it doesn't get the foam on top. Is it my crappy skimmer that's the problem? (SeaClone 150, 55-gal tank)

Update (if you're interested...)

I was worried about letting in too much air before, but I just opened up the air control valve on my protein skimmer all the way and the bubbles are now gone. I'll see how this goes, if I actually get any skimming, and update again tomorrow. I do see foam, so maybe this is the answer for my skimmer.

Okay, for anyone checking this thread who cares... turning up the air all the way solved my problem. I now have much drier foam, which is more productive and I have no bubbles at all. So it worked.

Thanks for the advice "sdellin". I'll try adjusting the protein skimmer again tonight to see if I can get the same results. I've been away from the forum for a few days... had to dodge hurricane Dennis.

Back
Top Bottom