Bubbles in my Hydrometer.. how to get em out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can NOT get these little suckers to let go of the neddle ! I seasoned it in the water like it says for like 2 days. Now when I take a sample tons of air bubbles like to stick the the arm and make the reading too high. Any suggestion on how to get them off rather then "banging the **** out of it"
Thanks !

I just flick it with my finger. If its stubborn, I tap it against something lightly.

Get a refractometer.

Dont mean to sound so bold but....I struggled a hydrometer for about 18 months and finally spent the big bucks on a refractometer. So glad I did, you wont regret getting one for yourself.

Wally: That was my end solution. I was so frustrated with the bubbles and the varying degrees of accuracy, I was never really confident in the swing arm hydrometers, so I ponied up for a refractometer and never looked back!

XXFirefighter: I've also used a toothpick or schich-kabob (sp?) skewer and tapped the arm a few times to get the bubbles off. The best way is to avoid them to begin with and try and dip slowly in a part of the tank that doesn't have any bubbles.

Thanks guys..
I know a refrac is the way to go...
I was just trying to delay the pain is all...
Ebay here I come...
I don't have any fish yet... I just wanted to get the water right for the rock...

Check out our sponsors before you buy on ebay, I know premium aquatics sells one at a competitive price with Ebay (they are sold out of that unit right now, but I'm sure will have more soon) and our other sponsors also sell refractometers.

reefrunner69 said:
Check out our sponsors before you buy on ebay, I know premium aquatics sells one at a competitive price with Ebay (they are sold out of that unit right now, but I'm sure will have more soon) and our other sponsors also sell refractometers.

Consider it done ! As soon as they get them in I'm getting one !
Thanks guys !
Rich

Back
Top Bottom