Bubbles on sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this normal? I had this problem about a month ago but it slowly went away, and now it's back. What are your thoughts?

image-4239673163.jpg

How long has the tank been set up and did you use dry sand? I have never seen or heard of this happening and my only guess is that there was air in the said that is slowly seeping out

It's been set for a little over nine months now. I used dry sand from Marco rocks.

I would think all the bubbles would be out by now, I have no clue but interested to find out

I'm no expert but i have 3 theories, It could be Nitrogen gas. It is from anaerobes doing their job and breaking down Nitrates into free Nitrogen gas, I believe it's harmless. It's just doing it's job.

Or... Many forms of algae will create bubbles in the tank. Diatoms, cyano, hair algae at times. Does it look like the bubbles are coming from an algae source?

Then the other issue that was alluded to could be microbubbles coming from your skimmer. These are usually tiny bubbles that are more of a nuisance to you than anything else as they can make the water look kind of cloudy.

If you don't have a skimmer then that theory is out the tank so to speak.

Last edited:
Red Slime Algae, it is not algae at all. Reduce your feeding, it is caused by excess nutrients ( Reducing light will do nothing). I can almost promise it will be back. I tried Chemi Clean, it works for a while and then comes back.

It is fairly hard to get rid of.

Just so you know it is a form of Cyano, the bubbles you see are a result of the Cyano producing oxygen as a byproduct of its organic process. I would try a 20% PWC every 4 days or so.

The over feeding has to be the culprit. I've been trying to catch 2 damsels that are causing problems and I have a trap set with food plus I'm feeding every two days regularly. My skimmer does produce micro bubbles but my sump has a bubble trap and I haven't noticed the bubbles in my last chamber. My second guess was and still could be an algae break out because these bubbles are on top of algae. Thanks for the help I'll cut back a little on the feeding.

Back
Top Bottom