Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys, I'm just passing on everything I've learned here. LOL I only started my fish obsession late last year. :)

This site is invaluable, really. Some of the other forums are kinda snippy and the layouts stink, it's so easy to find what you need here.

Another thing is you are bound to get a varied array of opinions and experiences so you can make an informed decision. If you ever have any doubts about advice, just wait it out and more people will surely join in.

You know you don't have to buy all "live" rock right? If you get, say 25% live rock and 75% of base rock you will be ok.

heres a link for base rock, it's $90 for 50lbs I believe with free shipping

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Rock

Yep, an ro/di unit would be a great buy!

I don't think you have to empty your tank out, just drain a bunch of the water down to the rock level and refill with saltwater. The sand storm will subside in a day or so. BUT if you're set on adding more sand then maybe that's your best bet. Just make sure to keep your rock wet while you do it. :)

Good luck!

Right now there is 25lb "live" which may be "dead" now lol, I did a quick look before I leave at that web site. Think 50lb of that would be enough, I want space for the variety of life I hope to have in my tank but I want enough for the corals and such too with caves and cubby holes for them to enjoy life and of course to swim around and get "lost" til their little hearts content.

Duh I just did a little math (no good without calculator lol), I need 25lb more base for a total of 75lb base.....provided my rock is still "live rock".

I usually special request sizes I need from John at reefcleaners. They are real good about that. I wanted some rubble rocks for my pod tank, request granted. Another time I wanted medium rocks since I have alot of big ones and they came through. :) This last order I got some more larger rubble pieces so I could put corals on them. Just think of what you want to do with the rockscape and get rocks you need.

Since you have 25lbs already, I would get another 25lbs of LR and then add 50lbs of the base rock. Thatll give you 100lbs which is a good start. It's recommened to have 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon so you'd be about right.

I have a nifty little app that calculates how much sand you need if you know how deep you want it. Tell me the depth youre looking at and I'll plug it in for you.

Depending where you live you might be on well water, as for do water places like meijer or walmart sometimes sell do water. All you have to do is bring a few buckets. Or go the old fashion way and either get dechlorinatr or let the water sit out for 24 hrs.

Also leave everything in the tank. Don't rinse anything. Your lfs should have givin you live sand, if you rinse that you will lose bio filtration. Get more sand and rock. Fully cured If you can afford it.

Obasic, Thanks. I have city water and never treated it first. I put the dechlorinator in now but was going to change out so I could add more rock. I'm thinking I'll just take out a really good amount like 75% so I can add sand and arrange rock.

(Yes Carey, I will TRY to keep the rock I have covered. I say try cause I may forget) And there would be another lesson learned. But hey I figure I should have a cycle started by christmas and that's kewl with me.

Carey, I'm thinking 2-3" should give ample burrowing room.

Buffy said:
Obasic, Thanks. I have city water and never treated it first. I put the dechlorinator in now but was going to change out so I could add more rock. I'm thinking I'll just take out a really good amount like 75% so I can add sand and arrange rock.

(Yes Carey, I will TRY to keep the rock I have covered. I say try cause I may forget) And there would be another lesson learned. But hey I figure I should have a cycle started by christmas and that's kewl with me.

Carey, I'm thinking 2-3" should give ample burrowing room.

It saysyou need 130lbs for 3inches.

Thank. Found 3 stores on web on way down. Going to check them out soon. Wish me luck!

Ugh. 2 of the 3 Fish stores no longer exist. Such nice updated internet and maps. These 2 haven't existed for long time by looks of the buildings.

It had a lot of fish, coral, inverts, clams and other stuff. Wont buy any livestock there but gave me awesome opportunity to see a variety live instead of just pictures. I could have watched for hours. No base rock. Very little live rock and not good. Bought white academy something sand and black. 40 white 20 black. Gonna add black in small amt. Don't want a lot maybe 5lb if that. Can't wait but I will so I get them the good home. Gotta research on my crappy pictures. Gonna order base when I get home in 2-3 hrs.

Update: Drained alot of water from tank. Left enough to cover rock. Stirring it up alot. Had 80 pounds of Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand already. Bought 40 more pounds of same sand. Also bought 20 pounds of CaribSea Premium Substrate Sand in Black.

I'm think my tank had started something because when I moved the rock so I can put the sand in, my rock was changing colors, some pretty purple too. Plus there was a small snail of some sort on one and in another there looks to be this purple clam shape, half inside one of the holes but enough out of it that it looks like a closed clam.

Also there is this red little, I don't know what to call it but it's a blob. I didn't touch it but when I put this rock in, and matter of fact before I bought it, I looked for creepy crawlers and didn't see any, definitely not the first two. They stand out like a sore thumb and my rock had almost gone white before I got it in my tank,

So moved rocks to one side so I can put sand in. Gonna try to shift sand evenly across but wavy. Don't know if I am gonna use the whole 40 more white or not. Depends on how the depth looks to me.

Then after I get the white arranged, am gonna add black by the handfuls til I get the look I want. Could only buy it in 20 pounds though I did ask for 5 or 10 lol, I don't think I will be using all 20 but it depends on how it looks.

No RO/DI yet. Reviewing them and can't make up my mind. I need a drain and can't figure how to do that part yet so can't pick. I don't really want to hook up to sink or underdersink.

Time to go add sand so it can settle where I can see to add some black.

Still need to order base rock and some more live too just haven't had time. Hope to do that tonite.

When you order live rock how have your orders been delivered. In water or no? And generally how long does it take to arrive?

Thanks, will take a picture as soon as I get my camera working and the sand and rock in.

One more question...

I quit testing the water til I get the rest of my rock cause of tap water however since, I found the colors going, I am wonder when and how often I should test?

Last time I tested was Monday and everything was 0. But then I had chlorinated water too. Now I have dechlorinator that I had put in and will continue to do so until I get an RO/DI.

Thanks again everyone. :)

buffy, first off sounds like you are eyeballs deep in your first build!!!:) its hectic but excessively addicting as well. it sounds as though you are getting some growth cycle going on in your tank...im personally a freshie but ill be following along closely:) I got a 55g tank sitting in my basementl calling my name...gonna be following you here within a few months on my first salt build as well!! hope all goes well and ill help out as much as possible

Base rock will arrive dry, no worries, :)

I test every few days but when i first setup a tank I usually get nerotic andf test twice a day. lol

Negligent, Tag along :popcorn:I like extra butter if you bring the popcorn LOL. Keep me posted on your tank and I'll tag along too, it's so amazing to see everyone's tanks from start to finish. (Eyeballs deep, only cause I've been so totally braindead at work that it has trickled, well flooded actually into my off time).

Carey - Thanks, I was testing every day there til I found I had that chlorine. I figure once I get the rock and sand in place then I'd start testing again. Will test every day while I watch out things work? Once your tank is established and you've stocked it the way you are going to (fish and all), then how often do you normally test?

I still test every 3 dasy or so for ammonia and nitrate. Maybe every other week for everything else: calcium, phosphates etc...

Yep, once everything is in then I would def start testing. You wanna be able to see the ammonia spike, nitrite spike and the resulting nitrates. :)

After doing more reading (lol) I originally was gonna buy a Fluval 405, but when I went to the LFS, he talked me into the PF. Now I'm not sure that when I've finally got my rock and start cycling it is enough. I still have to cut the extension to fit in my tank. But before I do that, am wondering if I need change anything.

P.S. As of right now, I don't have a wavemaker and not sure if I need one and I also don't have any power heads or pumps for in the tank. If I need these items placed prior to setting up rock, the I need to do that first.

Anyone have input?

I don't believe you need the ph before setting up the rock and substrate..the ph may( emphasis on may) help speed up the cycling aa lil bit...just remember that you always wanna have a stead current in a salt water tank.

Back
Top Bottom