Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Mr. Redstir is in 75g now. He's been in about two hours and he's worked himself 1/2 on a rock and 1/2 on sand.

Would it be awful hard to move my tank 4 inches or so?

Moving a tank means you have to break it completely down or you risk breaking the tank

Mr. Redstir

So, I think I'm gonna lose Mr. Redstir. I woke of this morning and 2 of his arms look like they are melting off and falling away in pieces at the tips. 2 more are a little white at the tips and 1 is fine.

I gotta go to work and in 5 min so only thing I can do is put him in a separate bowl and see how he is tonite.

What happened? He dying or regenerating or what?

Thanks all.

Sick or stressed Mr. Redstir?

See previous post. Will try to post pic. Hope someone has some advice/or suggestions for when I get home from work.

Hope this pic goes thru. Nope so here's a link. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. I hope its not like I read and can help it.

img_1578636_0_bc294e06624e36034b196e62aa4ebee5.jpg

That's what mine started doing a short time after I got him It eventually spread to the more meatier sections of leg.

:-(

I'm so sorry your first star isn't working out. I've vowed to stay away from them until my tank is more established anyway. I may get my starfish fix from a chocloate chip star in my upcoming 90g.

Sorry Buffy but I don't think he is going to make it.

Carey since you order online there are alot of very nice starfish out there like cc's a red knob or a red cc. Or do you have your heart set on a cc

I've got a star in my 40. First couple days I thought he was dead but he has been on the glass now for a couple days. Same family as a cc. Pics if you wanna look. He eats little frozen fish halves.

Buffy,

You are at a point that we all get to, excited about populating your tank with all sorts of wonderful stuff. Unfortunately, as a new tank, some things will not survive. That is why we all harp about going so slowly. You can get real depressed when your favorite creature turns up dead. The rewards are long term, the disappointments are immediate and in your face. I have been at this for 30 years and I have had my string of absolute failures that would make a grown man cry. So when we tell you that fish or coral isn't a good idea, it isn't because we have no confidence in you, we want to reduce your failures so the hobby is an enjoyment rather than a string of sorrows, I would not have recommended starfish of any kind at this early point, but that is just my opinion from killing too many of them early on. You need robust creatures at this point as they are the pioneers in your system.

Buffy,

You are at a point that we all get to, excited about populating your tank with all sorts of wonderful stuff. Unfortunately, as a new tank, some things will not survive. That is why we all harp about going so slowly. You can get real depressed when your favorite creature turns up dead. The rewards are long term, the disappointments are immediate and in your face. I have been at this for 30 years and I have had my string of absolute failures that would make a grown man cry. So when we tell you that fish or coral isn't a good idea, it isn't because we have no confidence in you, we want to reduce your failures so the hobby is an enjoyment rather than a string of sorrows, I would not have recommended starfish of any kind at this early point, but that is just my opinion from killing too many of them early on. You need robust creatures at this point as they are the pioneers in your system.

Great advice. Filing that in the "Make sure to remember" file in the back of my head.

Back
Top Bottom