bug like thing on the zoos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noodus

Aquarium Advice Regular
there is this weird bug like thing that came on my zoos.. looks like tiny porcupine bug. brown color like a tiny snail with spikes.. does anybody know what this is?

sorry, but it's too small and my camera wouldn't pick it up. i did find one of those Heliacus sp. snails in my tank so i'll remove it as soon as i can.

Sounds like a nudibranch. They can actually take the color of the zoo they are feeding on. They lay eggs and spread :( If so, you will need to dip them in FW and Lugols Iodine. Check out the zoo forum on Reef central for the recipe.

That see spider was weird. Never seen one of those.

noodus said:
looks like tiny porcupine bug. brown color like a tiny snail with spikes..

The nudibranch do not have spines, do they? The ones I have seen don't have them. I'm sticking with an urchin

The ones I have seen have little spikes or hairs that resemble the skirt of the zoo. Kind of reminds me of a porcupine. They are very hard to distinguish due to the way they can blend in.

Do urchins change the color of their spines?

If you believe it to be a nudibranch, then a fresh water dip with some lugols iodine will get the nudis off. You need to look for eggs though. They are little swirly white string like things that are normally on the zoo but can be laid on just about anything.

The process as I know it has you get some RO/DI water and match the PH and temp of your tank water. Add 5 drops of Lugols iodine per gal of water used. Let the zoo sit in the water 5 minutes and then remove. I will then inspect the zoo for eggs.

This dip is recommended for all new zoos before you add them to your tank. I had not done this but do now.

Look in the zoo forum on reefcentral. There are pics of the nudibranches and the eggs sacks. They go into more detail on the dip as well.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom