Building a fuge. Need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an idea of building my own fuge. Im still in the process of planning so im open to suggestions. Here's what i have in mind so far:

I want to make a HOB fuge. I'll buy a 5G tank, mod it into HOB (mayb i'll make a small shelf behind the main tank then put the 5G on top) with 2 holes near the top, 1 higher than the other. The lower one will let the water to overflow back into the main tank. The higher one will be a back up return hole so if the other hole is clogged, the water wouldn't overflow. I have a CSS 125 skimmer which has a returning tube. Im planning to use the skimmer as my pump. In the fuge, i plan to have some mineral mud, macros, feeder shrimps, some LR rubbles, LS, etc. I also want to place my heater, AC, phosguard and other chemical medias in there.

Any comment? Thanks

Why not put it under the stand? You need a sperate compartment for the heaters with good flow in it. I thought you already had a sump?

If i put it under the stand, i'll have to use an overflow box. If the heater needs good flow then i'll just leave it in the main tank. I don't have a sump yet. I thought about turning my 20G into a sump but plumbing seems too much work (im lazy lol) so i'll just try to make a HOB fuge for now.

how much room do you have behind your tank???
unless you get an acrylic tank, putting holes in the glass is going to be more work that it is really worth.

i would have to agree with austinsdad... get an aquafuge HOB. nice all in one package. i was planning on buying one for my tank until i realized that i dont have enough room behind my tank to fit it! oops

~mike

My tank is 6 inches away from the wall. I REALLY want the aquafuge but none of the LFS that i've been to have them. My dad doensn't like ordering stuff online :/. Plus i would spend less on my DIY fuge plan, wouldn't i?

In this hobby your dad will learn to like it. :wink: How are you going to fit a 5gal tank in a 6" space?

I havn't seen the dimensions of the 5G yet. I thought it would fit, wouldn't it? If not, i might have to find some kind of long tank mayb or completely abandon this plan lol.

Back
Top Bottom