Building and Designing a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found this online. Probably the simplest form of representation... This isn't what yours will look like, but is a simple way to picture it.

okay so im going to need 2 of those? thanks for the help, i really appreciate the fast replies too, that was awesome

My wife is watching The Voice so I have plenty of time lol.

No, you will need just 1 pump to get the water from the sump to the tank. The HOB overflow will bring the water from the tank to the sump (again, seek SniperHank out for help with that part)...

I'm sure there are videos on YouTube. Don't know if I trust the lack of protection in case of a power outage. You gotta think that if you do something like that, it's going to need to be a full siphon to get water up and over the rim of the tank, down the pipe, and into the sump. The pump is then responsible for getting the water back to the tank at the same rate it's draining into the sump. What happens if the pump powers down? The siphon won't stop draining water and will overflow the sump...

wow i did not think of that at all, thats going to need to be what i figure out, i have awhile to figure it out though, the stand is far from finished and i planned to integrate the plumbing right into the stand

Just do research on HOB vs drilled, pros and cons, etc. You will find tons of info... Plus ask away on this forum. Start a thread called "HOB vs drilled" and that should spark quite a lengthy discussion...

that's the one big benefit i see is that i could go right through the bottom of the tank and into the stand, but i don't really see the option to drain the tank haha otherwise i would definitely go that way, in the near future I plan to change this 20 into a 20 rimless, and i will definitely drill that one

that's the one big benefit i see is that i could go right through the bottom of the tank and into the stand, but i don't really see the option to drain the tank haha otherwise i would definitely go that way, in the near future I plan to change this 20 into a 20 rimless, and i will definitely drill that one

And drilling is usually the back of the tank towards the top with an overflow box installed... For example, you would see this IN your tank, and water would flow down the back of the tank

i'm definitely going to have to do more research, because i understand like the reason for it and what to put in it, but i'm really struggling with like the physics behind it, and being in school for electrical mechanics and auto tech its really frustrating me

There's a Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 section at the bottom. Make sure you read all these... Really good info. Read it all, then read it all again. Should keep you busy for a few nights :cool:

that is awesome, thanks again i will most certainly read that, i think i already figured out most of my confusion just from the diagram on the first page

Okay I read that, and it was great, now I'm trying to find a fairly cheap hob overflow box for sale and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay I read that, and it was great, now I'm trying to find a fairly cheap hob overflow box for sale and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

I've heard Eshoppes makes a nice one. Check them out. Also, in conjunction with it, you will want an aqualifter pump to ensure the siphon doesn't break (if the siphon breaks due to air in the U tube, your return pump will keep pumping but the overflow won't be draining, and your display tank will overflow). Like I mentioned earlier, send SniperHank a message and he will be able to steer you in the right direction...

I've heard Eshoppes makes a nice one. Check them out. Also, in conjunction with it, you will want an aqualifter pump to ensure the siphon doesn't break (if the siphon breaks due to air in the U tube, your return pump will keep pumping but the overflow won't be draining, and your display tank will overflow). Like I mentioned earlier, send SniperHank a message and he will be able to steer you in the right direction...

I did send him a message, haven't heard anything back yet, I was looking at those but I was seeing mixed reviews online so I wanted to hear what your guy's thoughts on them

You'll always hear mixed reviews on ANY hang on back overflow. I've even heard of hang on back overflows manufacturers recommending drilling a tank as opposed to a HOB...

Back
Top Bottom