Bulb selection and coral growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know there is a science for this but mainly looking for opinions to color and whether or not corals were affected.

I have 2 250 CV 10k MH's and 2 T5's(1 actinic and one 50/50) on my 75 gal. I am looking at a bluer MH bulb and I like the look of the CV 12k or 14k bulbs. I did see a cheap bulb on ebay that got decent reviews on RC, Sun Aquatics 14k but it looks a bit bluer than the CV's.

I love the look of the brightness of the 10k's but I would like a bit more actinic. I don't really think the 2 T5's will do a whole lot but they do fine for dusk/dawn lighting. Will most 14k's be similar or is it brand specific?

The next thing is coral color. By going with a 14k over my current 10k, will I see a negative color change on my corals? The reason I ask this is on my 10 gal, I run 2 32 watt smartlamps(50/50). I figured 64 watts on a 10 gal with the depth being what it is, I would be ok putting frags from my main into the 10 gal. I have noticed a loss of color on some zoos and the growth is not there. I know that my main is more established but the 10 was setup with LR/LS from my other tanks. Is this a maturity issue or could it be the lights?

Sorry for the ramble but this has been on my mind lately :)

I am using the CV 250w 14K's and coudn't be happier. In fact, there is so much blue to them that I don't have to run my pc along side of them. Sometimes it is a matter of corals adjusting to the new light. I went with 14K because it seems to be the happy medium of the MH bulbs.

Mike

By going with a 14k over my current 10k, will I see a negative color change on my corals?
Not at all, you'll actually see more color b/c of the higher k light. Growth may be alittle slower w/ a higher k lamp though. I use CV 14k's. No need to suppliment w/ actinics, although I do for some extra "pop" from my corals.
I have noticed a loss of color on some zoos and the growth is not there

The reason the growth slows and colors fade in your 10 is b/c of the light, while enough to support the frags, it isn't as intense as the MH's on your main tank.

The reason the growth slows and colors fade in your 10 is b/c of the light, while enough to support the frags, it isn't as intense as the MH's on your main tank.

Most of my frags were in my tank before I got the MH's. I was actually experiencing very fast growth with my cheap 4x55 Jebo PC light. My 10 gal should be better than that. I wish I could of got a separate 10k and separate 03 bulbs but I figured the smartlamp would work.

I guess I will give it some time and see what happens. Anyone use the sun aquatics bulbs? You can get a 250 14k bulb for 32.50. I do like the CV's I have right now though...

Ahh, I see that. I also saw that a sponsor here(Sharky's reef) has a Avalon 14k bulb. Anyone used it?

Back
Top Bottom