Butterfly Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking to add either a Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus) or a Mulleri Butterflyfish (Chelmon mulleri), to help control aiptasia.
I know there is no guarantee they will eat them. I have two questions:
1. If I add a yellow strip maroon clown later down the road, would this be a problem?
2. Will they also eat any anemone?

Thanks,
--Scott

well one, after the aiptasia is gone, you need to supplement them with food or they will die. adding a clown may or may not cause problems, it depends on the fish
I dont think they would bother an anemone, espessially because of the stinging cells

Yeah I know I would have to feed it after the aiptasia is gone. I was really wondering if they would eat other anens...

I am a huge fan of the copperband...it is one of, if not, my favorite SW fish. Of the two, maybe a little better choice for ap. control. But as you know, there are no guarantees.
If I add a yellow strip maroon clown later down the road, would this be a problem?
I don't think so. The maroons are a bit aggressive and territorial so adding it after the buttfly is established is a good idea.
Will they also eat any anemone?
IME, No. Mine has not touched any of my BTAs or my LTA. If you happen to have any feather dusters or other tube worms (such as a Christmas tree coral) they will all be toast.

I know my LFS keeps onein his display tank and I`ve never seen them mess with his anenomes. I also know folks that have them and have had no problems but I also know some that have had problems with their`s picking on corals.

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. I was hoping you would reply Brian, I looked in your gallery and checked to see if you had any anemones, before you replied. I just wanted some confirmation. I do like the Mulleri Butterflyfish, just for the coloring....

Back
Top Bottom